Where to get a Thing-a-ma-bob?

/ Where to get a Thing-a-ma-bob? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
The IH-444 we have, has two "breathers" on top of the hood. More accurately, it has ONE breather, which I presume to be the pre-cleaner for the air intake. It's shaped like a mushroom for lack of better word. Hard, solid on the rounded top, and perforated on the underside for the air to enter. In front of this one is an empty tube sticking through the hood. I presume to be the breather for the top of engine as it goes to the valve cover and is where oil is filled. We've used a tin can as a raincap for a long time on this, and frankly it drives me nuts.

Where might I get something like this, or even better, what kind of creative item might I use to keep the tube covered, yet allow breathing & oil filling?

Richard

/ Where to get a Thing-a-ma-bob? #2  
You could try caseIH they still sold parts for older IH tractors a few years ago. or auto parts store some old cars had a breather cap oil fill like your looking for. But you should reely put a breather of some kind,because dust and dirt has a direct route in to the engine,big killer on internel parts.

/ Where to get a Thing-a-ma-bob? #3  
An IH dealer or scrap yard. Any oil breather cap that will fit and has a screen in it will work.

/ Where to get a Thing-a-ma-bob? #5  
I used Bates a few years to get a good adjuster for the lower link arm on my IH444. The parts were in very good shape and reasonable. My old one was frozen and badly rusted when I got the tractor. Took it to settle a debt.

/ Where to get a Thing-a-ma-bob? #6  
What is the diameter of the tube? At TSC they sell a breather cap for the ford N- tractors.. you might adapt it to fit... has mesh breather element.. no rocket science or space age materials.... but will keep the big chunks and mice out..

End of cap has a shroud that fits in the oil fill tube on the N tractor.. perhaps it is claose enough to be adapted.

Otherwise.. look on www.tractorpart.com

I've got a catalog in hand.. and flipped to the IHC section, and just breezed around and found part number IAC203
listed as air cleaner cap for H, w4, super H, 300, 330, 340, 350, 404, 424, 444, and 504

Perhaps this is what you need?

( They have a neat free catalog.. 100's of tractor parts. Might also try a IHC collector magazine.. but I htink that url and part numer is the ticket..

Soundguy