Long D124 3 cyl diesel engine missing problem

/ Long D124 3 cyl diesel engine missing problem #1  

Ken1945

Tractor
MF 253
I have a 1996 Long D124 3 cyl diesel that idles fine hot or cold. When I increase the rpms above idle it starts missing.
It sounds like just one cyl is missing and the exhaust smoke increases substantially. Reduce throttle back to
idle and miss stops and smoke decreases. This problem started when using the rear lift arm to raise the 5 ft tiller
for some serious maintenance.

Oil bath air cleaner is clean, fuel filter is clean, fresh fuel in the tank no water in glass filter bowl. This tractor
doesn't get used much and only has 434 hours on engine. I've been chasing this for a couple of days with no success.

I need some help because I seem to be getting no where solving this, and I need this unit to work my 5 ft tiller when
everything goes dormant.

It looks like my 253 massey and the long 2360 must talk to each other, because when one has a lift problem the other has
a different problem. In this case the massey lift falls with increased rpms and the long starts missing and won't pull the tiller.
I've figured the massey problem out. There is a new style hydraulic trans filter that is supposed to solve this problem.

But the long is still a problem.

Thanks, Ken

/ Long D124 3 cyl diesel engine missing problem
I finally found the problem with the Long 2360 engine missing. I changed all the fuel filters including the one in the injection pump. Still missing. I pulled the injectors, took them to a professional diesel shop and they said they rebuilt them... cost for three 305.74. Installed them last week tractor still puffing white smoke and missing. I told my self, self those injectors are still stuck open and flooding the cylinders. I did some digging and found a schematic at AGCO for the injectors, found out the same Fiat injectors are on an Allis Chambers 5040. Friend on another site told me that. I broke the injectors down and found the diesel shop no more rebuilt the injector than they planted tomatoes on the moon. I clean the internals on the injectors myself, reinstalled them, bled the air out of the pump and lines, got my "best half" to assist me by spray WD40 in the intake while I spun it over and walla engine runs great now. I'm going to address the failure of the tech to rebuild them. This diesel shop did have a stellar reputation until this incident.

The great thing is the 2360 is up and running and I did a better job than the diesel shop experts and I did it with out fancy equipment, by reading, researching and paying attention to detail. :cool2::dance1:

When I figure out how to upload a couple of pictures I'll show you what they look like broken down and what I found inside when I opened them up.

Have a great week tractor owners, Ken