Steering wheel removal

/ Steering wheel removal #1  

stan33

Silver Member
Tractor
My steering wheel has a big chrome nut in the middle. To remove this, do the wheels need to be on full lock?
Thanks

/ Steering wheel removal #2  
On the only steering wheel I have removed, no. You have hold the steering wheel and break the nut loose. The steering wheel and the steering shaft have splines like a pto shaft. The wheels can't turn unless the steering wheel turns assuming nothing is broken. If yours is made different than mine just turn it all the way to one side.

/ Steering wheel removal
Thanks, took your advice and it worked.
Now of course the wheel wont come off. Sprayed on some WD then hit underside with rubber mallet.....no go.

/ Steering wheel removal #4  
Most steering wheels need a puller to remove. Otherwise you risk damaging the wheel or shaft. You can sometimes rent a puller at an auto parts store.

/ Steering wheel removal #5  
Most steering wheels need a puller to remove. Otherwise you risk damaging the wheel or shaft. You can sometimes rent a puller at an auto parts store.
x2. I got mine off without a puller, but only after a lot of sweat and swearing. And only because I wasn't smart enough to think about it.

/ Steering wheel removal #6  
get a steering wheel puller.

most likely soak things over a couple days with PB blaster. spray in morning, then spray again when ya get home. and repeat for a couple days. then put steering wheel puller on.

as others. it really took some extra fuss to pop the steering wheel off.

=================
you never said tractor / car / truck... if there is an air bag involved. you can get yourself into very expensive repair if air bag goes off, possibly injuring yourself as well...

/ Steering wheel removal #7  
Thanks, took your advice and it worked. Now of course the wheel wont come off. Sprayed on some WD then hit underside with rubber mallet.....no go.
That was my problems too. After several hours I never could get it off. I finally with great difficulty did my repair from the side without removing the steering wheel.,

/ Steering wheel removal #8  
One way is to loosen the nut so it's maybe 1/8" away from the wheel. Sit in the seat with your knees under the wheel and exert lots of upward pressure on the wheel. Then carefully whack the nut with a 2-3# hand sledge.
That might damage the chrome, so substitute a different nut. Usually you try to run the nut just flush with the end of the steering shaft so you're hitting both at once.
We used to do that with cars and tractors both, worked pretty well if no puller around. YMMV. Also, use a real penetrant, not WD.
Jim