Battery Recommendations?

/ Battery Recommendations? #1  

Glenn9643

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1455v 4wd, 1040FEL
Somewhat OT, but I've come to depend on TBN for sensible answers/experience.
I recently bought a used golf cart and have since discovered that a couple of the batteries need to be replaced. I'm aware that I should buy the complete set, but I intend to buy two now and the remaining four in about six weeks when the pocketbook's in better shape. I'm also aware that Trojan seems to be the leader in this area but there aren't any dealers locally. My only options seem to be Exide (sold at Sams Club) or Interstate batteries has a local distributor. Anyone with any input on which of these would be best? The cart currently has Exide's in it, but looking at Interstate's website they seem to have better spec's. than the Exide sold at Sam's Club.

/ Battery Recommendations? #2  
DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT GOLF CARTS OR THEIR BATTERIES, but i kind of lean towards the INTERSTATE batteries, if u are going to buy 2 now and 4 in 6 weeks why not just waite and get them all at the same time?

/ Battery Recommendations?
Frank,
With the two as weak as they are it's really cutting the running time short between charges, and I figure with going with two now it would be more useable until my ship comes in. I'll probably check prices and if they are cheaper buying six just wait. Have you had good experience with Interstate batteries?

/ Battery Recommendations? #4  
We sell Interstate's at our shop for trucks and have good luck with them. Our distributor is good about handling any warranties with us. We have never had a customer say they didn't want an Intertstate battery but probably will since I said it. If the Exide was a lot cheaper and the specs about the same, I would purchase them.

/ Battery Recommendations? #5  
Save your money and buy the batteries you need at WalMart. This is a little known fact but Interstate Battery is just a battery distributor. They do not manufacture any batteries, their batteries are made by a company called Johnson Controls which just happens to make batteries for WalMart among many other brands.
In my opinion Interstate Batteries are way overpriced because you are paying for more layers of profit on the same item.
Sorry about the rant, but I think Interstate should be more upfront about this in their advertising. Ever wonder where the Interstate battery plant is (there isn't one)? I did and this is how I found out the above information.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Battery Recommendations? #6  
For our heavy equipment.. we use interstate batteries.

Whatever you buy.. match them up.. ie.. if you get two interstates now.. make the other ones the same later..

Soundguy

/ Battery Recommendations? #7  
Johnson Control make great batteries, if that is the name of Walmart batteries. You didn't say if they are 12 or 6 volt batteries. The problem with golf carts is the batteries are larger heavy duty ones and they are usually deep cycle batteries specific to golf carts. This translates to very expensive. Look for the highest cold cranking amps that you can find at the least expensive price and go with that. They all must match and replacing only two now will not work because the two strong ones will be pulled down by the four week ones. It is a case of replace all the batteries at once or you will be working the two new ones very hard and possibly damaging them and shortening their life. Check with a golf cart "expert" for their opinion, but this is what I have been told and I know that it was true on the old 6 volt batteries that we had on the trucks that ran in series for starting. They always had to be replaced in pairs.

/ Battery Recommendations? #8  
If it is for a golf cart get Trojan or nothing. No other battery has the power dencityand life expectancy as Trojan. Go to http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/phpBB2/. Ask the same question on a golf cart forum. Interstate, Exide ect will get a thumbs down.

I think a set of 105 Trojans should be less than $300 and last over 5 yrs.

/ Battery Recommendations? #9  
All I ever see in golf carts are Trojans (batteries)! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Battery Recommendations? #10  
I've had experience with two Exide deep cycle batteries for marine use and both have come up way short on life. They were pricey too. I also have a pricey Exide automatic charger that only worked for a couple of months. Two thumbs way, way down for Exide products. I'll never buy another.

Interstate, on the other hand, has done pretty well for me. However, the last Interstate battery I had was about 4 years ago. The last two batteries I've bought have been at Auto Zone and it remains to be seen how well they work.

One other thing, I've had really bad luck with things I've bought in the automotive section of Sam's club. The last thing was some top-of-the-line Michelin tires for my car. They were pretty pricey, but warrantied for 4 years, unlimited mileage. 19,000 miles later they were worn down to the wear bars (yes, they'd been rotated every 6k). Sam's club didn't want to warranty them and I had to get firm with them. Then they claimed the warranty was for 80,000 miles, and I couldn't prove them wrong, I just had it written down on my receipt, nothing else. I tried to get two other Michelin dealers to warranty them, but all said that the tire was manufactured specifically for Sam's club and they couldn't warranty them. What a crock. Suffice it to say I'll never buy tires from Sam's again. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I guess the point of my tire story is that when or if you need to warranty batteries that you bought at Sam's, you might have no choice but to go back to Sam's to replace them, even if they are a piece of junk.