Muffler for '93 Ford 1715

/ Muffler for '93 Ford 1715 #1  

Bryansr

Tractor
Ford 1715
My original muffler broke away from the bottom "L" section a couple years ago and I replaced it with a smaller one I found at Tractor supply that fit the old "L". This noticeably decreased my fuel economy so I'm wanting a muffler more like what it had, but having a hard time stomaching the $240 price from FNH. I see aftermarket mufflers online that fit 1700 & 1720 1987 to present but they don't call out a 1715. The bolt pattern looks to be the same, so does anyone know of a reason they wouldn't fit mine? Thanks, Bryan

/ Muffler for '93 Ford 1715 #2  
Why not take the muffler you now have and cut the exit end off it and put a bigger pipe on? While you've got the end off it you could cut the baffles out, too. That might/probably make it louder but diesels need to breathe and you will get better mileage out of the fuel if it can breathe.
After the warranty is off mine I am gutting the exhaust completely and putting on a straight pipe.

Last edited:
   / Muffler for '93 Ford 1715
I took the muffler off and put the "tailpipe" right on the "L" coming from the head. It wasn't as loud as I expected but I only had it at half throttle... Anyone else have any experience with putting a 1700 thru 1720 muffler on a 1715?

/ Muffler for '93 Ford 1715 #4  
When the muffler started leaking badly on my Ford 1210 I searched for an original (horizontal) replacement. No dice. I ended up welding a 90* elbow and short piece of pipe onto the flat steel plate that bolts onto the exhaust manifold and going with a Cherry Bomb and vertical exhaust. What is really nice is the exhaust no longer comes back at me when going into the wind.