4 cyl Ford Ind.exhaust repair Bobcat

/ 4 cyl Ford Ind.exhaust repair Bobcat #1  

sandso2011

Tractor
Bobcat
Hi,new here.I've got an 85 Bobcat with a 4 cyl Ford Ind. engine.It's got the OEM exhaust on it and it's shot.It has 3 in long header pipes coming off the cylinder head.A single pipe for cylinders 1 and 4,adouble pipe for cyls 2 and 3.They are welded directly into a muffler with a 3 in. long pipe that exits the rear hatch.Bobcat told me it was $380 bucks but they don't make them anymore.I was wondering if a 9n or 600 workmaster with a weedburner exhaust manifold would work.Any help would be appreciated/The thing is worth it's weight in gold around here.My wife can clean manure piles,move round bales,etc. without knocking a barn door off like with a Kubota or rhe 4020.Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving,Bill

/ 4 cyl Ford Ind.exhaust repair Bobcat
Yeah,that's what I'm going to do.It was manufactured by Clark when they owned Bobcat.I called them this morning and the parts guy didn't even know they had owned bobcat so I figured this was another dead end.He's supposed to call me back.That was 6 hours ago.I appreciate the directions to that thread.I've got a couple new tractor mufflers around,one's got a flange on one end.I'll just make a block-off plate for one end and tig the old pipes to it.! and 4 cyls are ok,2 and 3 are cooked.I'll just make a new one and buy some gasket material.I shoulda just done this in the first place.Bobcat makes John Deere look like pikers with their prices.Thanks again for the help........Bill

/ 4 cyl Ford Ind.exhaust repair Bobcat #4  
If it is a 172 cu in Ford make sure that you never overheat it!!
I have dealt with half dozen of those and they crack the head if a customer overheats them.
New heads were in the $600. + range without the valves about 10 years ago. Used heads were all cracked!
I have welded up/plated holes in the 172 manifolds, they were cast steel.

/ 4 cyl Ford Ind.exhaust repair Bobcat
yeah,I noticed thst the manifold? pipes were cast steel.They not only have the exhaust hanging off it unsupported,they've got a lifting eye on the back of the head.I think the engine is a 138,doesn't matter.This thing actually has a 18" rubber hose for choke linkage.I can't even begin to describe it,but it's in the Bobcat PDF parts book.And two hose clamps.I really appreciate the overheat warning.I've left the overheat shutdown threaded into the block,I've put a temp,oil temp,and oil press. guage cluster on top of the idiot light/ignition box.I'm gonna make my exh. flanges.pipes,muffler on the studs and spot mig them in place.Then I'll take em off and tig them so I can control my torch temp.I've got a Miller Dynasty 350 and I get along with it pretty well.Thank you all for the info and advice.This website is worth signing up for. Bill