How to get ice out of empty fuel tank?

/ How to get ice out of empty fuel tank?
Strange I haven't gotten any notifications this thread was replied to. Some GOOD stuff here!

Maybe just blow a 1500w hair dryer into the tank for a few hours and evaporate it. I have a 1600w Honda generator there.

Warm E10 gasoline might do the trick. Hmm how to do it, though, maybe set a metal gas can in a tub of warm water. Wonder if E10 can directly absorb that amount of ice while cold.

Chip it and vacuum out whatever can be seen. Or blow out the chips with compressor, all the air is escaping out the filler hole.

I bet its pooled/frozen, plugging the outlet. Maybe heated isopropyl alcohol, plus air pressure to force it out the outlet.

No worries on the carb - its clean as a whistle!

/ How to get ice out of empty fuel tank? #12  
Remote location. Gas tank. Portable heat source. I see the makings of a Youtube video here.

I'd go with the alcohol approach. Should quickly melt the ice and allow it to flow out.
If the alcohol is below freezing it is actually dissolving the ice. Altho its isnt truly melting the end effect is still the same however.

/ How to get ice out of empty fuel tank? #13  
Jeeeezer man! Don't ever use a hair dryer or a vacuum cleaner on a gas tank! :eek:

I really hope you're joking. :rolleyes:

/ How to get ice out of empty fuel tank? #14  
You don't need to heat Isopropyl Alcohol, it absorbs water and melts ice as it's function(s). Gas line deicer is what it is effectively.
Alternatively you could remove the tank and thaw it out then reinstall it.
Or disconnect the fuel line at the tank and use another small tank with enough gas to get your sled out of the woods.

/ How to get ice out of empty fuel tank? #15  
Jeeeezer man! Don't ever use a hair dryer or a vacuum cleaner on a gas tank! :eek:

I really hope you're joking. :rolleyes:

Had a problem with a built in monel fuel tank in a Pearson Renegade... ended up taking a gasoline transfer pump with a long 5/8 hose connected to a length of 1/2" copper and it did a great job vacuuming out the tank bottom... very similar to the services that provide fuel polishing...

/ How to get ice out of empty fuel tank? #16  
Had a problem with a built in monel fuel tank in a Pearson Renegade... ended up taking a gasoline transfer pump with a long 5/8 hose connected to a length of 1/2" copper and it did a great job vacuuming out the tank bottom... very similar to the services that provide fuel polishing...

Vacuum ICE?! Waste of time; either replace tank with temporary one or melt/ dissolve it with Heet,(dry gas).
Why make it complicated?
Hair dryers, heating gas or Isoproply Alcohol: NOT- totally stupid ideas, and dangerous to boot.:thumbdown:

/ How to get ice out of empty fuel tank? #17  
   / How to get ice out of empty fuel tank? #18  
Vacuum ICE?! Waste of time; either replace tank with temporary one or melt/ dissolve it with Heet,(dry gas).

I was thinking if the ice could be seen the copper prob could break it up and lift it out using fuel pump suction.

/ How to get ice out of empty fuel tank? #19  
I was thinking if the ice could be seen the copper prob could break it up and lift it out using fuel pump suction.

Suppose anything is possible; but in the field, simplest solution is best most often. Like I said, melt it, or use a separate tank to get it back to shop....

/ How to get ice out of empty fuel tank?
Its out in the woods "in the barn", and I have tools there. No heat, but have a Honda generator. Removing the tank is certainly the most certain but prefer to search for clever methods first. Might test raw iso-heet on some ice & see what it does to ice. Also, its dry as a bone - no gas at all, I'm surprised there could be water. Interesting about that shirtless fella who burned up his car and house. Thats not on fumes, that takes raw gas, lots of it. There is no raw gas to make fumes. But I will surely keep that in mind, a vacuum motor or blow dryer could supply a lot of oxygen to a fuel.

I don't want to work on it, I want to get whatever ice out that I can, pour E10 gas in and try to start it. I'm looking for the 15 minute solution. Prediction is for 2 feet of snow this weekend & I'm trying to get the fleet ready for family fun. Will have a precious few minutes and if this thing doesn't run the kids will retire to the cabin & flog their phones instead.