farmall rear axle bearings.

/ farmall rear axle bearings. #1  

superCslim

Tractor
farmall super c, farmall 340
Seems like I have a bad bearing in my farmall 340. So I called up the closest dealer and they quoted me $123 and $124 for both bearings.

That got me thinking I should shop around a bit before I spend $250. So in the process I found both bearings are the same size (65mm ID x 120mm OD x 23mm W). The part#s are ST218A and ST219A. Also the farmall H and the Farmall 460 have the same sized bearings as well, but with different part #s.

Can anyone explain the differences in part #s with the same size bearing? And why can I not use a one bearing for either side of the axle?

/ farmall rear axle bearings. #2  
Once you have old bearings out a bearing supplier should be able to supply from the numbers stamped on bearings. It is possible for bearings to have identical exterior dimensions but have some configuration differences that dictate they must be different bearings in each position.

/ farmall rear axle bearings. #3  
I crossed the ST219 through NAPA, and got this part number, and just happens to be a set of 2 SKF NOS bearings onebay. ebayhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/SKF-BEARING-6213-J-65-X-120-X-23-MM-/360497273817?hash=item53ef4fdbd9:m:mSMfbkDQqSLOA4w01MObfkA

Doing as general search on Google I ran across this thread from Red Power site. I'm sure you will find it interesting. And I did come across this site, before finding this thread. I entered the part number, but it requested a ph#, so let it slide. Might be worth your time to check it out. Bearing Cost Savings - General IH - Red Power Magazine Community

/ farmall rear axle bearings. #4  
I have those bearings here in stock if you are interested send me a pm and I can give you pricing. You have several choices of where you want your bearings made. USA China Japan etc and pricing varies drastically depending on the Country of Origin

/ farmall rear axle bearings.
Thanks for the help! I'm still looking into whether I want to open the transmission back up again or not. I have a parts tractor, I may pull the housing off of it and check it's bearings out. It would be nice to find some new bearings if that's what is wrong with it (I've been WAY wrong before). I'm still pretty new to this farming/tractors stuff.