Trouble with Home LED lights

/ Trouble with Home LED lights #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
I have two out of 19 that seem to be getting dimmer with time. In the last couple of months it seems that these two have dropped to about half of less in lumen output. They are 5 years old and calculate to have possibly as much as 31,000 hours on them as they are on at 5 am or so and not off till 10 pm or later.
Anyone else noticed their LED lights putting out less lumens after a few years of use?

/ Trouble with Home LED lights #2  
I have two out of 19 that seem to be getting dimmer with time. In the last couple of months it seems that these two have dropped to about half of less in lumen output. They are 5 years old and calculate to have possibly as much as 31,000 hours on them as they are on at 5 am or so and not off till 10 pm or later.
Anyone else noticed their LED lights putting out less lumens after a few years of use?

No, but I don't have as many hours as you do on any of mine. I wonder if some of the power supply components have "cooked" and changed value. what brand are these units?. Mine are all Cree.

/ Trouble with Home LED lights
I bought them at Lowes but I don't recall the brand name nor the LED manufacturer. 5 years ago, LED lights were just getting popular.

/ Trouble with Home LED lights #4  
I bought them at Lowes but I don't recall the brand name nor the LED manufacturer. 5 years ago, LED lights were just getting popular.

So far, I am very pleased by the Cree brand, we shall see how well they hold up long term.

/ Trouble with Home LED lights #5  
As I understand it, the LED lights and fluorescents all use phosphor to convert energy (either blue light or plasma, respectively) into white light...and that phosphor gets used up over time and the bulb gets dimmer. The manufacturers of LED bulbs call them "dead" when they have lost enough light that you notice the difference, and I think 30k hours is right in line with how long many of them are rated to last. I'd say you've gotten what you're going to get out of them and call it good...

/ Trouble with Home LED lights #6  
I just replaced two last night. One said cree the other one did not. The cree one was very dim and the other kept blinking on and off . These were only about a year old. All lights have LED bulbs but the dont last like they say.

/ Trouble with Home LED lights #7  
How long is a piece of string? When talking about how long an LED lamp will last, that certainly seems to be the state of the question.

Manufacturers of LED lamps, which many regard as the next generation of lighting, destined to eventually replace today’s incandescent and compact fluorescent lighting sources, make wild claims as to product life.

Typical incandescent bulbs last 1,000 to 2,000 hours. But in speaking about LED replacements, lamp life is routinely quoted as 25,000 to 50,000 hours. Long lamp life, and the reduced power used to create the same amount of light, is what makes this technology so promising.

But what does a 25,000-hour life mean? As it turns out, no one is quite sure yet. The definitions surrounding LED lamps, a nascent technology, are still being made up as we go along.

One thing we do know: It means something different than when people think about the life of a regular light bulb.

When it’s said that a standard light bulb will last 1,000 hours, that is the mean time to failure: half the bulbs will fail by that point. And because lamp manufacturing has become so routine, most of the rest will fail within 100 hours or so of that point.

But LED lamps don’t “burn out.” Rather, like old generals, they just fade away.

When a manufacturer says that an LED lamp will last 25,000 or 50,000 hours, what the company actually means is that at that point, the light emanating from that product will be at 70 percent the level it was when new.

Why 70 percent? Turns out, it’s fairly arbitrary. Lighting industry engineers believe that at that point, most people can sense that the brightness isn’t what it was when the product was new. So they decided to make that the standard.

Of course, brightness is subject to the old frog in the boiling water syndrome. I’m sure that most people won’t even notice the lower level then, if they’ve lived with the same bulb for its entire life. (How many owners of rear projection DLP TVs only realize that a TV’s image has dimmed once they replace the bulb?)

If nothing else in the lamp fails, like its electronics, the product will continue to work until it becomes really dim. But some engineers are proposing a way to get around even that.

Their idea is that once the LEDs start to emit less light, increase the power to each one to increase its brightness. Unfortunately, that will also diminish the life of the lamp.

Good idea, or bad? “The utilities really don’t like this idea,” Fred Welsh, a Department of Energy consultant, told me on Thursday at a lighting conference sponsored by his federal agency.

Not only would contractors need to use thicker cables, but the utilities would need to create more power, partially negating the appeal of LED lighting in the first place.

But still, it’s in its early days, and no one yet knows how this will be settled, or how the consumer will be educated to think about “bulb life” in a different way than they have for the past 130 years. If consumers are going to switch to this new lighting technology, it’s an issue that needs to be settled.

And if it isn’t? “This is a potential black eye for the industry,” Mr. Welsh said.

/ Trouble with Home LED lights #8  
So far all the LED lights I've installed have worked well. Failures do happen.

/ Trouble with Home LED lights #9  
If Gary got 31000 hours and they are starting to get dim, I would say they did pretty good. That is 31 times longer than a standard bulb, and 15 times longer than a double life bulb. Not bad.

/ Trouble with Home LED lights #10  
I put LED bulbs in my kitchen recessed fixtures because they are used alot at night. Unfortunately they emit enough RF that it messes up my AM radio. Pluses and minuses I quess.