Deere 2210 Compact UT Starter Issue

/ Deere 2210 Compact UT Starter Issue #1  

GaryDG

Tractor will not start.

When trying to start my Deere 2210 compact utility tractor, it had a slow crank on a known good battery & directly connected to starter/block with good jumpers, etc.

Removed starter, bench tested it and it worked fine - but the test, obviously, was not under load.

Didn't check Ignition line to starter in start position, should have and will in AM, and I understand that should be minimum 11.4 V. Some voltage was there or the starter would not have engaged.

I understand it could be mechanical but I have had no issues with the tractor and weather is in 40's and oil is the correct viscosity.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
   / Deere 2210 Compact UT Starter Issue
I met with the owner of a local auto-electric company, brought in my starter, and he noticed that there was some corrosion at the point where the starter connects to the flywheel. He also confirmed that bench testing a starter out tractor/car doesn't necessarily tell if the starter is good or bad - if the starter passes the bench test. The starter should be tested on the car/tractor. He said the voltage at the battery terminal on the starter should be at least 9.5 volts when cranking. If not, and a slow crank then likely a starter issue.

So I went home to install the starter and do the test, but before I installed the starter I cleaned (300 grit paper) the surface of the starter that connects to the flywheel area as well as the flywheel area. I installed the starter and decided to try to start it again without doing the voltage crank test. It started right away turning the engine normally. So it must have been the corrosion at the area the starter bolts on to the flywheel.

Hope this helps others.