Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp?

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
Why don't they make smaller gasoline engines with HP between 30 and 60. Seems like any small engines you find are normally no higher then 25HP where as they then switch to diesel. I see Kohler makes the aegis 31 hp.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #2  
Because diesel is way better. The biggest reason is fuel consumption. They do make gas engines in that HP range but they aren't very common. Have your ever feed one of those Kohlers gas? I would love to get rid of the one on my Dixie chopper and replace it with a diesel.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp?
I found the aegis 31 hp fuel injected amazing on gas actually, they use them in the new argos...with tracks on, and being a much larger machine then say a bombardier quad atv, it burns about half the gas, Its almost unbelievable actually. Diesels are good, but the noise and differen fuel , I'd prefer the gas. They arent very common thats for sure.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #4  
There's plenty of old industrial gas engines around. Certainly lots of gas tractors between 30-60 HP. And of course the 4 cylinder Wisconsin engines in skid steers and fork lifts. And there's lots of 6 cylinder Ford 300s still working. I've used one on a big scary Vermeer 1600a wood chipper. I'm not positive, but I'd guess it was tuned somewhere around 60hp. It was carbureted and liked gas, but it would work hard all day at 27-2800 RPM.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #5  
I had a 65hp wisconsin 4cyl gas engine once. Lots of 35hp wisconsins still around

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #6  
There are "big block" Vanguards that are 35hp...

Make mine a diesel pleaseee!

SR

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #7  
My old Clark Forklift has a Continental 4 cylinder, not sure of the hp though.
I think when you got to a point where you needed more power you just went to a 6 or V-8.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #8  
Above 1000cc and the engines are subject to automotive emission rules which are quite bit tighter. ( at least one tier above current L&G rules) Vanguard makes a 993 cc that is 35 or 36 hp depending on the configuration. I believe that kohler makes a 1000cc in the 35 to 38 hp range.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #9  
Above 1000cc and the engines are subject to automotive emission rules which are quite bit tighter. ( at least one tier above current L&G rules) Vanguard makes a 993 cc that is 35 or 36 hp depending on the configuration. I believe that kohler makes a 1000cc in the 35 to 38 hp range.
I have a 35 HP Kawasaki FX 1000 (999cc) in my zero turn mower.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #10  
Because diesel is way better. The biggest reason is fuel consumption. They do make gas engines in that HP range but they aren't very common. Have your ever feed one of those Kohlers gas? I would love to get rid of the one on my Dixie chopper and replace it with a diesel.

Why is a Tier IV diesel better than a 2015 Fuel injected or direct injected gas?
How much does diesel and gasoline cost where you reside?
Do gasoline engines have cold weather starting problems or jelled fuel filters?
How economical is your diesel when the emissions equipment requires service after the warranty has expired?