Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor
    JD 4110 HST w/410 Loader and 60

Default Battery Definitions

I hate to post another batter thread with a "Battery Recommendations" thread just below. That one has to do with golf carts, so I figure you folks wouldn't mind.

After reading about other battery acid vs. radiator nightmares in another thread, I have decided to go ahead and upgrade as soon as it is practical. Several people have been talking about "Optima" batteries, which seems like a great design. Most likely that will be my upgrade, but I'm a little in the dark about some of the terminology, i.e. Deep Cycle, etc. Any battery experts out there? I'm operating a 2003 4110.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Default Re: Battery Definitions

Pete I agree the Optima battery is the way to go. I installed one in my New Holland when the original battery started spewing acid..

Typically a deep cycle battery is used for an application such as an electric trolling motor on a fishing boat. They are meant to be almost completely discharged before recharging without adverse problem to the battery itself.

I might suggest visiting the FAQ page at the Optima site. There is a lot of interesting info there click here

Banned
    Tractor
    jd4100, Cub Cadet 3204 & Cub 125

BigPete,

Your machine uses the group 51R series which is a yellow top
    version from Optima. I did the change over a few months ago
    on my 4100 for a major piece of mind. Costco might have the Optima 51 R for less...funny thing its the same size as a Honda civic (newer models)

Duc

Tractor

Thanks, guys. I will study up. this is a piece-of-mind upgrade, too.

Tractor

Duc, I read that the battery you recommend is a yellow top/deep cycle. I don't think the stock batteries are deep cycle. Any reason the yellow top is recommended? Is it just because the battery will sit for a few weeks at a time during the down season? I don't typically run much of a load or run lights off the battery with the engine off.

Tractor
    ford 1920 w/fel and bh, case 470, allis chalmers B 1937, JD 450 track loader, Case vac, 3 cub cadets ford lgt 125, Kubota 2230/60 inch mower.1948 farmall cub 1953 farmall cub

Hi
    check out this site for batteries

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/auto.htm

Charlie

Banned
    Tractor

Hi BigPete,
    I was looking for a solution for 6 months when someone sent me this link below, it mentioned Optima offering a group 51 battery. I literally ran to the nearest supply outlet near me ( Pep boys) who had it in stock...it cost me $125 but I will never regret that at all. Your new machine my not be a problem because maybe they addressed it with a better battery?
    As far as I know yellow is the only offering thus far in a Group 51 R size...its got a little more punch (CCA) and starts it right up in the cold, but best of all no worries.

Duc

http://www.jci.com/CorpPR/Releases/b...release626.asp

Elite Member

I would go with the "redtop", 800cca, as opposed to 500cca for the group 51 "yellow top". You can't go wrong getting the biggest/strongest battery that will fit in your space. Roger-Scotty always recommended the "redtop".

Banned
    Tractor

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would go with the "redtop", 800cca, as opposed to 500cca for the group 51 "yellow top". You can't go wrong getting the biggest/strongest battery that will fit in your space. Roger-Scotty always recommended the "redtop". )</font>

Problem is it will only fit a Group 51 - you are limited to space
    and I already tried that with no luck...Yellow is fine and more than adequate...the stock battery is 435cca, the yellow battery is at 500cca...I know originally they didn't offer a group 51 in a red top, but it could have been ( very) recently introduced...its more than enough battery for this machine thats for sure, it comes down to price after that and if its available...

Duc

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Just a thought but you guys still needing Optima batteries may want to check your local AutoZone stores. They started stocking some of the Optima batteries shortly after I installed one in my New Holland. The prices looked good also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast