773, was submerged under river flood for 4 days

/ 773, was submerged under river flood for 4 days #1  

AlanOrmand

Tractor
bobcat 773, new holland 6610
Where to I start. water carrier fine silt and sand, mud. Please guide me on which ares or parts must be cleaned first to prevent rusting damage.
refer me to any video for help please, I also have a two year old Polaris Razer and 2 year old husqvarna zero turn mower turn mower the remained under water for 4 days. Now that water levels are down. I would prefer to drag to shop higher ground to repair yet concerned about moving due to water issue. This is likely a rare issue to deal with info from ones experienced with simular issue please send best advise. which of equipment listed would require the lost emediate action ? My gut order would be, remove spark fush and attempt to turn over to flush then oil cylinder, remover clean cards, empty fuel line, chage or check oils and hydrolics for water ???

Can I assume the order for each implement would be the same or does order en matter and what have i forgotten. taylor county farmer.

Thanks

/ 773, was submerged under river flood for 4 days #2  
Can't help about having equipment in a flood for 4 days but seems like you have some expensive equipment that got wet. I'm guessing you don't have flood insurance. If you do I'd let them handle it.

/ 773, was submerged under river flood for 4 days #3  
Most immediate would be to pull the plugs, and turn the motor over by hand . Spray alcohol or WD40 into cylinders, and repeat the manual turn over. Then put fogging oil and repeat one more time.

It takes almost no force to bend a rod, so go slowly.

All other fluids and filters will have to be changed obviously. If you can remove the gas tank, drain it and slosh some alcohol around to rinse it.

The flooding is not the problem, it's the exposure to air after the fact. Don't let it sit for more than a few days.

/ 773, was submerged under river flood for 4 days #4  
Simple answer is every fluid reservoir must be drained and cleaned, This includes engine, hydraulics, final drives, fuel tank, etc..

With luck draining the hydraulic reservoir BEFORE ever attempting to start the equipment will minimize the water ingression into the drive motors, cylinders, etc.

/ 773, was submerged under river flood for 4 days #5  
And expect to have to replace anything electric or electronic. Might get away with opening up things like alternators and starter motors, clear water flush and then a gentle air or warm (140-150 deg) air oven dry before reassembly. Simple on-off switches MIGHT survive depending on if their construction includes much sealing.

Sorry for your loss.

- Jay

/ 773, was submerged under river flood for 4 days #6  
Before you go to any expense check with any kind of insurance policy you have to see if by any chance you are covered. But otherwise agree all fluid reservoirs and electronics will have to be cleaned and checked. The only thing I have ever experienced is sand in the fuel tank, however my KATC insurance covered it all except the deductible.

/ 773, was submerged under river flood for 4 days #7  
Have am marina and deal with sunken boats often. Also put my B7510 in the lake on one occasion. Drain all fluids change filters. remove injectors or glow plugs and crank the engine until no water comes out (to prevent hydraulic lock). With new fluids and fuel engine should start although it might take a bit depending on how much water was in the cylinders and hoe easily you can bleed injectors. Once you have it running keep it going for at least 30 minutes then shut down and change all fluids and filters again. With my tractor I put it on four jack stands and had it running in gear during the thirty minutes, J Robyn might be correct about the electricals especially and digital components. My tractor is still working great 2500 hrs. later. In the case of my tractor got lucky; drained and cleaned dynamo and starter and had no other issues other than a frozen tach cable and ignition switch. With boats they always need at least a radio but there seems to be hit and miss as to other electrical items. Sorry for your loss.

/ 773, was submerged under river flood for 4 days #8  
Time is your enemy! The longer you wait the worse the problems will be.
You need to check as many things for water as you can and determine how much is contaminated.
I rebuilt a boat engine some years ago and first time out I towed it 500 miles on vacation to the Fl. Keys. It was a twin engine boat, 2- 4 cylinder inboards.
I had a manifold rupture and got SALT WATER!! in the new engine.
I knew it would be 3-5 days before I could do anything with it so I removed the spark plugs, disconnected the coil and pumped 3 gallons of diesel fuel in the crankcase and cranked the motor until the battery got weak to wash the inside of the engine and dilute the water.
I saved the motor!
My point is be creative to protect what you can. Major assemblies first, starters/alternators later, they won't break the bank.
As stated, if a hydraulic tank has water in it drain BEFORE you pump the water in the system.