14" Notched Disk?

/ 14" Notched Disk? #1  

sl3uth

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti LB1914
14\" Notched Disk?

I have a hipper that has 2 busted disks. They're 14" outer diameter, and they fit on a 1" round axel. I haven't had any luck whatsoever finding replacements for them.

Anyone know where I can find disks that size? I bought the implement used, and there's no markings as to brand on it.

Sam /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 14" Notched Disk? #2  
Re: 14\" Notched Disk?

Have you tried some farm impliment dealers. Naby times thinks such as dics are generic and can be interchanged.

Egon

/ 14" Notched Disk? #3  

My guess would be that they are actually 16" and have 2 inches of wear.. I have been at this along time and have never seen a 14" disc listing but I have seen disc worn as much as 5". I guess these could be fairly old and before time but I still think I would have seen that size in a catalog someplace. 16" with a round 1" hole are fairly common.

/ 14" Notched Disk? #4  

Like the others mention.. they were probably larger discs.. Unless you are changing all of htem.. try to find the closest to match.. as for round vs square... you could alwas make a square disc hub into a round one with a file or plasma cutter.. torch..arc welder with chamfer rod. etc

I've fixed a disc or two out of need like that before. Usually I've welded in a proper sized flat washer for better fit.. etc

Soundguy

/ 14" Notched Disk?

All,

Thanks for the help. I think they're really 14" disks. since they show little wear on them, and they're just hilling already loose soil.

I think there's enough clearance to easily put 16" disks...but that would mean buying 8 disks rather than just 2.

If anyone has any pointers for someplace to look, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Sam

/ 14" Notched Disk? #6  

Might try this page from Agri-Supply
I only found 14's to fit a square axle though
800-345-0169 try giving them a call.

/ 14" Notched Disk?

Inspector507,

Thanks for the pointer. I have their paper catalog, and they only list 16" or higher...I hadn't looked at their web site though.

Thanks!

Sam

/ 14" Notched Disk? #8  

sl3uth,

Agri-Supply should have the disc but also realize 14" is not in demand like the larger disc. The problem you might have is if you do not find them quickly you likely will not find them at any price. THe disc in stock now ar 1/3 the current price of disc blades because the increase in steel prices.

/ 14" Notched Disk?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The problem you might have is if you do not find them quickly you likely will not find them at any price.)</font>

That's been running through my mind quite a bit.

Is there a rule of thumb for calculating the separation of disks given their diameter? I might need to go up in size...but I want to make sure that it still works.

The clearance is there vertically for 16" disks, but I am concerned about keeping the functionality of the implement. Since this is a "hipper", the disks are set at a fairly steep angle. Each side has a 4 disk section that is 24" across. Due to the angle, this 24" section fits inside my 16" tires tracks. If it still works, then I'll bite the bullet and get larger disks...any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam