PTO problems...

/ PTO problems...
There's a lever but no clutch, it's a hydro transmission. You drop the engine down to idle, engage PTO and then throttle back up.

Transmission is fine, FEL and 3 point lift have issues because of the aeration, they're dead after it's been sitting for a while, have no movement at idle and very jerky for a while. If you runt he tractor for a few hours, they smooth out but once it sits the problems return.

/ PTO problems... #12  
There's a lever but no clutch, it's a hydro transmission. You drop the engine down to idle, engage PTO and then throttle back up.

Transmission is fine, FEL and 3 point lift have issues because of the aeration, they're dead after it's been sitting for a while, have no movement at idle and very jerky for a while. If you runt he tractor for a few hours, they smooth out but once it sits the problems return.

I think you've already found the problem, you need to find out where the pump is sucking air.

/ PTO problems...
The service guys called today, they think the pump is bad and it's causing capitation. They said that it's running much hotter than it should be. I had noticed it seemed to be pretty warm but hadn't ever checked the temp before the problems so wasn't sure if it was hotter than normal.

If I get a seal kit and rebuild the pump, should that be enough to fix it if the pump is the problem? Or will a new/reman pump be required?

When I messed up the fittings, they were on the supply side line for the pump so it's possible that it could have run completely dry, or close to it, at some point.

/ PTO problems... #14  
Cavitation is normally caused by a restriction in the suction line, I'd think that a worn pump would be less likely to cavitate, but I'm not a hydraulics expert.

Are you 100% sure you're not sucking air at one of the suction lines?

Running a pump dry does shorten its lifespan, but I've not seen one die from running dry one time.

/ PTO problems...
Yeah, I kind of thought cavitation in the pump sounded unlikely. The only other place there could be a restriction is in the supply line from the T that was damaged to the pump. The T that was damaged is where it splits off to the hydro trans pump and the other hydraulics pump. The trans is working fine so I think I need to pull that line off and check it for problems. It's possible that a stick or something got jammed in there or that the O-Ring where it connects to the pump is damaged. I think I'm going to start there before replacing anything more expensive and if I don't find an issue there I guess I'll see how hard it is to break the pump down and see if anything in it looks broken or clogged.

/ PTO problems... #16  
sounds to me like there is air somehow entering in b4 the "other" hyd. pump . Does The hydraulic fluid show any signs of emulsifing/ clouding etc.?