ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor

/ ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor #1  

cowgirlGVF

Tractor
Kubota
By mistake poured 2 quarters of diesel motor oil in the transmition reservoir. There are some opinions that I should not be worry, what do you think? How screwed am I?

/ ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor #2  
Hi. Welcome. What is the capacity of the transmission?
What is the weight of the motor oil?

/ ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor
I do not have a manual but looking up other models will be around 10 gallons (40 liters) and the diesel motor oil used was 10W30

/ ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor #4  
I really wouldn't worry too much, since its a small amount.

If it's close to needing a fluid change, you might change it anyway to be safe.

/ ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor
Thank you

/ ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor #6  
I agree with MrGiggles. Hydraulic fluid is approximately equal to 20 weight oil.
Two quarts is about a 5% dilution should not be that much problem.

/ ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor #7  
I think the weight of the oil being a problem would be secondary to the different additives in the two oils.

With that said, I don't think you've contaminated it with enough to worry about. After all, you only added 5% to the total volume. On tractors with rear remote couplers they eventually get contaminated with that much variety of oil by hooking/unhooking to different hydraulic implements. Especially when you borrow your neighbors implements that have 30 year old oil in the cylinders. That mixes with your high dollar Synthetic oil....... :)

Thanks MrGiggles, davel708, and ovrszd for your comments.

Tractor has 330 hours so probably will be a good idea to change fluid on it; the tractor is used no more an hour daily.

/ ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor #9  
Get a firm grip on your money when you go to buy the oil and filters!!!! My M9540 holds 16 gallons. I used Kubota SUDT2. Right around $520 for the oil!!!!!!

I checked on other brands of comparable oil and wasn't going to save much if any. So went with Kubota brand. Good thing they don't need changed often!!!!

I'll run this oil quite awhile. Probably change filters once a year and top it off. :)

/ ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor #10  
I wouldn't worry about it. Think hydraulic fluid is from highly refined 100N. Most motor oil comes from mostly 150N (next heavier cut) but has a bunch more additives. Our mechanics in the refinery used to use normal high quality motor oil in the hydraulic circuits that controlled the speeds of our horizontal dewaxing filters. You 10x30 oil would have about the same viscosity at cold temps as your hydraulic oils.

Ralph