Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota

Default ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor

By mistake poured 2 quarters of diesel motor oil in the transmition reservoir. There are some opinions that I should not be worry, what do you think? How screwed am I?

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200D,

Default Re: ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor

Hi. Welcome. What is the capacity of the transmission?
    What is the weight of the motor oil?

Tractor
    Kubota

Default Re: ADVICE NEEDED: poured motor oil in the transmition reservoir in a kubota tractor

I do not have a manual but looking up other models will be around 10 gallons (40 liters) and the diesel motor oil used was 10W30

Tractor
    Deere

I really wouldn't worry too much, since its a small amount.

If it's close to needing a fluid change, you might change it anyway to be safe.

Tractor
    Kubota

Thank you

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200D,

I agree with MrGiggles. Hydraulic fluid is approximately equal to 20 weight oil.
    Two quarts is about a 5% dilution should not be that much problem.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

I think the weight of the oil being a problem would be secondary to the different additives in the two oils.

With that said, I don't think you've contaminated it with enough to worry about. After all, you only added 5% to the total volume. On tractors with rear remote couplers they eventually get contaminated with that much variety of oil by hooking/unhooking to different hydraulic implements. Especially when you borrow your neighbors implements that have 30 year old oil in the cylinders. That mixes with your high dollar Synthetic oil.......
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor
    Kubota

Thanks MrGiggles, davel708, and ovrszd for your comments.

Tractor has 330 hours so probably will be a good idea to change fluid on it; the tractor is used no more an hour daily.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

Get a firm grip on your money when you go to buy the oil and filters!!!! My M9540 holds 16 gallons. I used kubota SUDT2. Right around $520 for the oil!!!!!!

I checked on other brands of comparable oil and wasn't going to save much if any. So went with Kubota brand. Good thing they don't need changed often!!!!

I'll run this oil quite awhile. Probably change filters once a year and top it off.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor
    JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R

I wouldn't worry about it. Think hydraulic fluid is from highly refined 100N. Most motor oil comes from mostly 150N (next heavier cut) but has a bunch more additives. Our mechanics in the refinery used to use normal high quality motor oil in the hydraulic circuits that controlled the speeds of our horizontal dewaxing filters. You 10x30 oil would have about the same viscosity at cold temps as your hydraulic oils.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast