MF 275 stalled, won't start...

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #11  
That's the exact filter I had problems with. Notice it only has a hole in the center, and no holes around the top plate? That's normally where the fuel flows. I know that's what NAPA and Wix show as a correct replacement, but I couldn't get it to work, and I don't think it's a coincidence my neighbor had the same problem. I replaced it with one that like below, and it worked immediately...not all the holes in the top plate that lets fuel flow. They list is as an MF235 part, but also list all the other models it works with, and the 275 is there. I cross-referenced it a couple of places, and they're all the same.

I'd be willing to bet that if you carefully made some holes in the top plate, you'd get fuel flowing properly.

Massey Ferguson 235 Fuel Filter - 3405419M1

Well I thought I was the only one that got a fuel filter that wouldn't work. I looked and it had no holes in the top only the threaded center. It was a replacement number so I thought I'd try it and same thing could get no fuel out of it. Actually it was a different filter than the one you mentioned and a replacement for a LX885 New Holland Skidsteer. It was a Wix 33166 that didn't work. No holes for the fuel to get out of the filter.? Never heard of this until this thread started.

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #12  
Well I thought I was the only one that got a fuel filter that wouldn't work. I looked and it had no holes in the top only the threaded center. It was a replacement number so I thought I'd try it and same thing could get no fuel out of it. Actually it was a different filter than the one you mentioned and a replacement for a LX885 New Holland Skidsteer. It was a Wix 33166 that didn't work. No holes for the fuel to get out of the filter.? Never heard of this until this thread started.

Just for grins, I cross-referenced the Wix 33166 (NAPA 3166) and it's listed as another option for both my MF241, and the OP's 275. I looked at the picture, and it looks exactly like the NAPA 3196 the OP thinks is on his machine.

I've seen a thread on this issue in the past, and if you put the top seal on the filter element, rather than in the groove on the housing, it can cause the same problem. I just switched to a different brand CAV filter, and haven't had any issues since.

In case anybody wants to know what this type of filter looks like. I think it has a couple of slots in the depressed groove that allows fuel to flow, but I can't recall exactly. For whatever reason, I had issues with it (might have had the seal wrong).

This is the traditional type I'm using now:

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #13  
Just for grins, I cross-referenced the Wix 33166 (NAPA 3166) and it's listed as another option for both my MF241, and the OP's 275. I looked at the picture, and it looks exactly like the NAPA 3196 the OP thinks is on his machine.

I've seen a thread on this issue in the past, and if you put the top seal on the filter element, rather than in the groove on the housing, it can cause the same problem. I just switched to a different brand CAV filter, and haven't had any issues since.

In case anybody wants to know what this type of filter looks like. I think it has a couple of slots in the depressed groove that allows fuel to flow, but I can't recall exactly. For whatever reason, I had issues with it (might have had the seal wrong).

This is the traditional type I'm using now:

That's the one. I couldn't get any fuel thru the filter no matter what I done. I don't have the number handy but I'm now using a hastings and it looks just like the Delphi 296 in your pictures. I hope the info you provided will shed some light to someone else about a possible problem. The OP might have had a filter problem to start with then changes to one of these and still has a filter problem.

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #14  
I use NAPA 3166 and 3196 filters regularly with no problems. If you put the right seal, in the right place, they work just fine, If you can't make it work, don't blame the filter.

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #15  
same problem here with :TYM with perkins engine tried same napa filter with no luck crossed the napa # to a john deere # it had the holes and worked perfectly .

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #16  
I use NAPA 3166 and 3196 filters regularly with no problems. If you put the right seal, in the right place, they work just fine, If you can't make it work, don't blame the filter.

Sometimes universal isn't universal. I'm sure lots of people use these filters, but I also know lots of people have issues with them, while nobody seems to have a problem with the other style (with the holes). I read an 8-page thread on this problem on the heavy equipment forums, and even after reading all the specific instructions on how to install this filter, still couldn't get fuel to flow, and the OP there never reported back what happened after he bypassed the filter to test the rest of the system. It might be slight variations in filter housings that cause the problem, but I know I won't bother messing with these again when there are so many quality alternatives.

I'm a big fan of Wix/NAPA filters, but I think this is a poor design...you should have to work to install a filter incorrectly, and that's not the case with this type.

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #17  
yup, might be some minor differenc ein the filter head assy, and it makes it where that hole-less filter don't work..

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #18  
Any update? Threads like this kill me when folks don't circle back to let us know what happened :(