MF 275 stalled, won't start...

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #1  

ironsiderodger

Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF 275
It was idling by my shop (thankfully), surged, started acting like it was running out of fuel. I killed it, checked fuel and was at 2/3. Fuel filter was within 50 hrs of replacement; replaced it. Began to bleed and never got that far. No fuel is getting to the filter; however it is getting up TO the filter. I've loosened it, checked my seals. Same story. Nothing in the glass bowl at the bottom, but as soon as I loosen the filter I get fuel running outside of it. Thoughts? This is not the day for this to be happening.

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #2  
Fuel probably gelled. Get it warm and get some additive in there and you will be going again. Ken Sweet

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start...
Thanks- appreciate it. Sadly the fuels been very warm, we keep it inside a heated garage because of that. When the filter is off the fuel streams out fairly nicely.

It's odd, no fuel filter, fuel comes out of the housing once I turn the cutoff to open, once the fuel filter goes in (along with ALL of its gaskets) and I tighten it (not all animal, but firm) nothing. Also the hand primer feels limp; but I should still see the bowl fill, yes? I'm assuming Tank-Filter-Pump?

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #5  
This may sound like a dumb question, but was the replacement fuel filter the exact same brand/version that was on it before? I ask this because I once bought a filter that was supposed to work on my Massey only to learn that it had no holes in the top metal plate which is where the fuel is supposed to go first....got zero flow out of the filter because of it. I mentioned this to my neighbor who said he ran into the same problem with a filter for a Perkins diesel he has as well....same filter, holes in the wrong place, wouldn't work, but was listed as an equivalent replacement.

If that's not the case, I'd remove the filter, then disconnect the fuel lines completely, then use compressed air to clear out the passages in the filter housing....just to be sure it's clear. You could have a small piece of rubber, a chunk of wax, debris that came from the tank, etc plugging up one of those small passages.

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #6  
It's odd, no fuel filter, fuel comes out of the housing once I turn the cutoff to open, once the fuel filter goes in (along with ALL of its gaskets) and I tighten it (not all animal, but firm) nothing. Also the hand primer feels limp; but I should still see the bowl fill, yes? I'm assuming Tank-Filter-Pump?

Are you loosening the bleeder screw on top of the filter housing so the air can get out of the filter housing?

This may sound like a dumb question, but was the replacement fuel filter the exact same brand/version that was on it before? I ask this because I once bought a filter that was supposed to work on my Massey only to learn that it had no holes in the top metal plate which is where the fuel is supposed to go first....got zero flow out of the filter because of it. I mentioned this to my neighbor who said he ran into the same problem with a filter for a Perkins diesel he has as well....same filter, holes in the wrong place, wouldn't work, but was listed as an equivalent replacement.

If that's not the case, I'd remove the filter, then disconnect the fuel lines completely, then use compressed air to clear out the passages in the filter housing....just to be sure it's clear. You could have a small piece of rubber, a chunk of wax, debris that came from the tank, etc plugging up one of those small passages.

Thanks- and I think that's a great question. The filter is identical, a NAPA one both are number 3196 if I remember rightly- unless there is something I'm not seeing. I'm thinking I like the idea with the compressed air...

Hi Jerry- thanks, and yes I was. I think though part of my assumption made need clearing up; I assumed that either way, once I opened the valve I'd see fuel begin to fill the bowl. In any case at one point the bleeder screw was completely open.

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #9  
Thanks- and I think that's a great question. The filter is identical, a NAPA one both are number 3196 if I remember rightly- unless there is something I'm not seeing. I'm thinking I like the idea with the compressed air...

That's the exact filter I had problems with. Notice it only has a hole in the center, and no holes around the top plate? That's normally where the fuel flows. I know that's what NAPA and Wix show as a correct replacement, but I couldn't get it to work, and I don't think it's a coincidence my neighbor had the same problem. I replaced it with one that like below, and it worked immediately...not all the holes in the top plate that lets fuel flow. They list is as an MF235 part, but also list all the other models it works with, and the 275 is there. I cross-referenced it a couple of places, and they're all the same.

I'd be willing to bet that if you carefully made some holes in the top plate, you'd get fuel flowing properly.

Massey Ferguson 235 Fuel Filter - 3405419M1

/ MF 275 stalled, won't start... #10  
As the problem started before you changed the filter, I doubt that the filter is the issue, although an incompatible filter may have added another problem.