old style glow plug indicator wire type

/ old style glow plug indicator wire type #1  

jerryjg

Tractor
Satoh Beaver S-370
does the glow plug indicator stay red hot while the key is in the heat setting? mine will stay red hot for around 12 seconds then fade out with the key still in the heat setting.

/ old style glow plug indicator wire type #2  
I'm not sure what happens after you hold the glow plugs in the heat position afer the indicator on the dash turns red. I've never done that. I was always under the understanding that when the dash indicator turned red, your glow plugs were already hot enough to start the engine. I guess I'm curious why you would hold the glow plugs in the heat position that long.

/ old style glow plug indicator wire type
when I got the tractor the shop owner said to hold the button (it had at that time switch was bad) for count to 25 after it turned red. this is my first diesel. thanks for your response. I have probably burnt the glow plugs up.

/ old style glow plug indicator wire type #4  
when I got the tractor the shop owner said to hold the button (it had at that time switch was bad) for count to 25 after it turned red. this is my first diesel. thanks for your response. I have probably burnt the glow plugs up.

You can test the glow plugs to see if any are burnt. I don't think you have to go that long, depending on how cold the engine is, and how your plugs are working.
How does it start if you glow for say 10 count after the wire goes red?
BTW, NEVER use ether to start your diesel.

/ old style glow plug indicator wire type
I am cleaning up and painting and rewiring now tried to start but had no luck I have taken the fuel injectors to Carolina fuel injectors to have rebuilt he said one was very bad and the other was in fair condition. should get them back soon.