3020 john deere wrong battery

/ 3020 john deere wrong battery #1  

dvaidm

Tractor
3020 john deere and 50 john deere
I inherent my dad old farm and tracktor he has 3020 had went to price out a new battery at the john deere dealer. I told the batter was the same size as truck battery like I have in my pickup they told me that is the wrong battery it you have a long and narrow battery. My question is should I leave the battery that looks like my truck battery in or put the original battery back in it.?

/ 3020 john deere wrong battery #2  
If the tractor still cranks, and the size of the "wrong" battery isn't interfering with anything, then leave it in there until it dies. There is no good reason to change it.

/ 3020 john deere wrong battery #3  
Get what ever battery will fit in the space and Matches the voltage & CCA of the OEM battery. You can exceed the CCA of the OEM battery without harm.

Batteries have improved over the last few years.

/ 3020 john deere wrong battery #4  
Many people have changed over to an automotive style battery because the narrow batteries don't seem to last as long and are ate more expensive. We average changing the narrow batteries on the 4020 every 2 to 3 years and the square batteries on the 2840 every 5 to 6 years.

/ 3020 john deere wrong battery #5  
I'll be switching mine over to an automotive style battery when my current battery goes out. It just takes some modification to make a platform for it to rest on. From what I've found, they are cheaper and have much higher CCA.

/ 3020 john deere wrong battery #6  
The NAPA OEM replacement battery for my Ford 3400 costs $185 plus tax ($196.56)
A Group 75 "Everstart Maxx" from Walmart costs $102 plus tax ($108.37)
The difference is a saving of $88.19 , and the Walmart battery has a higher Amp & CCA rating, plus a better warranty.
A group 75 is physically smaller than the OEM replacement, but will readily fit in the big battery tray with some wood blocking.
I have had two recent bad (warranty) experiences with the more expensive Interstate batteries.
I have 14 automotive style batteries.
I will now buy only Walmart batteries (made by Johnson Controls).

/ 3020 john deere wrong battery #7  
I’ve used car batteries for years, and will again I’m sure. But there are a couple advantages that OEM (or equivalent) batteries do have. One is that some are made to withstand more vibration, similar to marine batteries. Another is that most typically have a lot more reserve capacity. That can be helpful for tractors that lag a bit in cold weather.

/ 3020 john deere wrong battery #8  
Through the years I have owned many vehicles, motor homes and boats.
I always try to use the same size battery in all of them.
When I buy a new battery it always goes in the boat and that one goes in something else.
Since I did a lot of Offshore Fishing (up to 40 miles offshore) I always wanted the freshest batteries in the boat!

/ 3020 john deere wrong battery #9  
The battery case shape is irrelevant. Type of service, voltage, plate/wrapped, cold cranking amps and being able to get it securely anchored are relevant.

/ 3020 john deere wrong battery #10  
The correct battery is the highest CCA with the highest reserve capacity that will cram into the battery box.
The condition of the cables, clamps and EVERY contact/connection surface is vital. Many a rotten cable/clamp appears decent enough to use.