OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone

/ OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So this is my results coming off of notes from a question I had on the Harbor Freight thread.

I have a 2007 Ford F150 that threw an ABS Code. I have a nice reader, but it was at the other house. So, spend another $120 for a quality reader or go Harbor Freight. Quickly some kind soul informed me that the reader does not do ABS code. Back to the 120 version. I was about to go this route when I saw in antoher forum that using a Bluetooth / Wireless code reader with an App on your phone would do the work. Results seemed to be mixed, but with Amazon's return policy it seemed a good test of my system.

So here are all my notes..... I bet other people have different experiences.

First, you need a code reader. I ended up with this as it was cheap.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

This is a WIFI only code reader... Here is what I understand and found out....
Wifi only works with Iphone (which I have). For whatever reason it seems that you cannot use Bluetooth version of these code readers with an Iphone. If you have an android, you can use bluetooth. In my truck, the code reader appears to run all the time, even with the keys off (Meaning it draws power to power the wifi, although it will not transmit codes - this could be a battery issue for your vehicle). The downside to WIFI is that, at least on my iphone, I can no longer get data through the phone company signal as I am using wifi. So if you want maps while you are driving, and you want to read all the guages and readouts as well, you are SOL.

Next thing you need is a program to read the data coming off the code reader and hopefully correctly translate the codes. My feeling is you get what you pay for in this department. My issue with my truck was not an engine code but an ABS code which seems for whatever reason to be a more expensive option to read. I ended up with Autometers code software for $9.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8

So, I downloaded, got in the truck, turned it on, made my phone connect with the OBD scanner (it was easy to do) and bobs your uncle, I got guages. I will say it was slow connecting. But all the info avail (which in the end is totally useless to me) is really impressive. And I got codes, codes my truck had thrown. Problem is that the codes I got were obscure and the basic software I had purchased would not translate. BUT for $9.99 more I could download the Ford ad on module. What the heck I say. I download it and I now have ABS Codes reading out correctly. Rear Speed Sensor shot. $70 part and an hour of patience and knuckle busting and I will have a fix. Very excited.

So in conclusion, it seems the cheap code reading modules work fine. I am sure there is a higher degree of failure in these devices and if you are a pro this may not be the way to go. You probably don't want to leave it plugged in all the time either.

The software is the key to all of this IMO. Code readers send all the info, it is the aps that need to interpret the signals and provide the best images. You can, with the autometer software, change the skins so the guages change to somehting more appealing (maybe) or something more geeky. Clearly the add on module for Ford worked great, and it looks like not a lot of cars need the add on module. Maybe it is some sort of licensing issue I am unaware of.

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

/ OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone #2  
Very interesting. Thx for posting your experience.

I have used a fairly expensive scanner tool for years in my auto repair endeavors, an AutoXRay 4000.
When confronted with proprietary codes, I just do a search on the web to find what they mean.

That said, I am intrigued by the availability of Bluetooth and WiFi OBD2 dongles and smart phone
apps. I do not have a smart phone, but that may push me over the edge. The dongle can be as
little as $15, and the app can be downloaded for free.

Reviews I have seen were primarily for Android OS, using Bluetooth. WiFi did not work as well,
according to several reviews. (I really like Eric the Car Guy.)

Since I am on ATT prepaid cell service, I will likely get a Windows 10 Nokia phone, like the one
I bought for the wife. Since Windows is a small fraction of the phone OS market, it may
not work so well with these dongles. I will check.

/ OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone #3  
agree, some good choices now for reading and decoding and resetting codes. Paid for the tools in time and parts when my daughter needed help with her car. I was able to remedy the problem and clear the code in just a few minutes. I have the ODBLinkMX bluetooth (android phone) and it only took a few minutes to get the code and what it means.. fixed the problem, reset the code and problem solved.

/ OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone #4  
<snip>
So here are all my notes..... I bet other people have different experiences.

First, you need a code reader. I ended up with this as it was cheap.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
<snip>

Next thing you need is a program to read the data coming off the code reader and hopefully correctly translate the codes. My feeling is you get what you pay for in this department. My issue with my truck was not an engine code but an ABS code which seems for whatever reason to be a more expensive option to read. I ended up with Autometers code software for $9.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8
<snip>
Thanks for posting and the links.
<snip>
Since I am on ATT prepaid cell service, I will likely get a Windows 10 Nokia phone, like the one
I bought for the wife. Since Windows is a small fraction of the phone OS market, it may
not work so well with these dongles. I will check.
You shouldn't need a phone, a tablet w/ BT should do, and inexpensive tablets are down to about $50.
agree, some good choices now for reading and decoding and resetting codes. Paid for the tools in time and parts when my daughter needed help with her car. I was able to remedy the problem and clear the code in just a few minutes. I have the ODBLinkMX bluetooth (android phone) and it only took a few minutes to get the code and what it means.. fixed the problem, reset the code and problem solved.

Thanks for the reference.
I've been looking for an inexpensive Android solution.

/ OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone #5  
I'd love some sort of "roundup" of these types of things.
I'd buy a $20 dongle and $40 software if it was the kick-***** solution.

I feel like I'd spend $50 on half a dozen different software packages and then find some dongle limitation.

/ OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone #6  
OP, what model iPhone do you have? I believe newer model iPhones support more BlueTooth protocols and may work with BT readers. Apple also has a few improved BT protocols (lower power, etc) that would probably work for iPhones but not Android.

/ OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone #7  
I purchased a U-Scan from tooltopia about 2 weeks ago.

Object moved

You plug it up under the dash and then connect to it via Bluetooth (Android or Apple smartphones). However, there is a one time in app purchase to access ABS codes, Airbag, enhanced data, etc.

I thought it would be nice to have in the truck for the road and leave my other at the shop. I haven't had much of a chance to use it, so i really cant give you a decent review just yet.

/ OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone #8  
You shouldn't need a phone, a tablet w/ BT should do, and inexpensive tablets are down to about $50.

True, you do not need a phone, but the $50 tablets are useless, in my experience. Mine is a VisualLand
Android device. You can use BT with a laptop, if it has it, or you add a BT dongle. A phone or good tablet
would be the way to use these OBD2 devices in the most convenient way.

/ OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone
OP, what model iPhone do you have? I believe newer model iPhones support more BlueTooth protocols and may work with BT readers. Apple also has a few improved BT protocols (lower power, etc) that would probably work for iPhones but not Android.

6 Jumbo. Darn thing makes up for everything else that is small in my world

/ OBDII / ABS Scan Tools - Wifi powered Iphone
My buddy has a diesel that you can adjust the parameters with a cheap tablet. My note on this is I was trying to do it on the cheap. My next note is that I think paying for software is the better way to go. Not saying the free stuff is bad, but the fact my Autometer software (admittedly with the additional purchas of the special esoteric codes for ford) got my ADB codes correct is a huge deal.

Finally, didn't want to risk the blue tooth as no one said they had bluetooth working with the Iphone.