Ford 555B TLB restoration project - best source of parts new and used??

/ Ford 555B TLB restoration project - best source of parts new and used?? #1  

dlwford

Tractor
JD 770, 650 & 316 & Ford 555B TBL
Just added a 555B TLB to the fleet and have started going thru the ole girl. Generally in pretty good shape mechanically, but the electricals are a disaster (why is that always the case with old tractors). Picked up manuals online - working thru replacing necessary and appropriate wiring, broken links, and worn out parts.

Looking for recommendations on sources for OEM, aftermarket, and/or used parts for the ole girl -- seems to be a number of these still in service. Also need cross references on other machines that used the same powertrain & or other common sub systems.

Need a source for the transmission dump valve solenoid - doubt I can repair the one that's on it - coil wire ripped out.

Rear end differential lock linkage was disconnected (apparently from wear or a ground strike - not on purpose) - anyone know of a problem with the lock/unlock mechanism -- before I hook this back up? Travel of the foot pedal seems very short as the linkage is currently adjusted. Anyone know how much travel is required to engage the lock?

Have run her a little around the farm - real happy with the overall size and available power. Just need to fix a few minor issues and I think she's gonna be real handy.

Tractor was a one owner (rural water system) - looks like it just got basic maintenance - 2000 hrs showing - bucket condition suggest only light work - repairing leaks!

Thanks for reading this and any suggestions are appreciated. Would like to hear your restoration or repairs experiences on this vintage.

Ole Tractors never die -
They just make more smoke!

:thumbsup:

/ Ford 555B TLB restoration project - best source of parts new and used?? #2  
For new parts I use Messicks plus they have pictures of all the parts of your 555B. For aftermarket parts they are several online dealers and I just use the one that has the better price at the time. Hardly ever buy used parts unless its at a local junk yard and then only buy things that don't have moving parts such as housings or oil pans or to replace broken covers. Go to the Messicks site click on construction then type in 555B. Here's a link. Yours is Ford but click on everything New Holland.

https://www.google.com/#q=messicks+tractor+parts

/ Ford 555B TLB restoration project - best source of parts new and used??
Thanks Steave,

I'll check them out.

Most of my projects have been Boats or Cars, but this is just my second tractor project so my parts Rolodex is a little thin.

A friend does a few military vehicles - says parts are out there just have to dig for them.

Yes, a "fire wrench" is a handy tool!

/ Ford 555B TLB restoration project - best source of parts new and used?? #4  
I've had very good luck with the company below. I took a quick look and they have listing for both the 555B and 555B Indust/Const...not sure why. I will say that I've searched on a part number on their system and didn't get a hit, but when i called they were able to pull it up. They are extremely friendly, and ship quickly, so I would give them a call if you're looking for something and it doesn't show up on their website.

I'd also say that their quality has been excellent. Long story short, I redid the RF axle on my backhoe (started leaking) and bought parts from the Case dealer. A couple of months later the LF started to leak, and I bought the parts from RAP. The parts that showed up were absolutely identical...same brand, same packaging, same markings, as what I got from the dealer, but quite a bit less expensive.

Reliable Aftermarket Parts

/ Ford 555B TLB restoration project - best source of parts new and used?? #5  
I have bought alot from reliable aftermarket parts as well. No complaints.

Use messicks site all the time for parts diagrams and getting part numbers.

/ Ford 555B TLB restoration project - best source of parts new and used?? #6  
555B is basically the same powertrain and loaders as 555, 555A, but those had the ability to be ordered with 14 OR 15' backhoes while the 555B was 14' only.
Dump valves are all the same on industrial tractors 1984 on with 4X4 Torque Converter Shuttle transmission, but the solenoid usually didn't survive very long. Search of E1NNN982GA solenoid online through Ebay shows it from England for about $221. Of course it has been replaced by the whole valve assembly at about $429. aftermarket under P/N: E5NN7Z028AA and New Holland P/N: 83960469 at $569. Can't tell from the listings on the aftermarkets, but would assume the solenoid is included.
Diff. lock linkage travel of the button on the deck is only about 2". The lever pushes on a spring loaded collar in the differential that engages when both the left and right side axles are moving at the same speed, so lengthening the pedal linkage won't harm anything. It is very, very unlikely that there is any damage to the diff. lock assembly internally as the rear axle is nearly bullet proof on Ford tractors.
Alexander Tractor in Texas is another good aftermarket and used industrial site.

/ Ford 555B TLB restoration project - best source of parts new and used?? #7  
   / Ford 555B TLB restoration project - best source of parts new and used?? #8  
Yeah DJ54, Joseph has a lot of engine, transmission parts, torque converter, shuttle rebuild kits and steering parts. But they do have an odd selection of parts. Just when you think you've found a good source for a part, they don't have it. They do have a wide range, however.

Thanks fellas - great information - will post my experience dealing with some of these folks as the project moves forward.

TTech thanks for comments on the diff lock issue. Pretty sure the linkage was sheared off accidentally - what remained of the cotter key was still in the hole. Was a little concerned that hooking it back up, I might lock it up and not be able to get it to let go if it was a marginal design.

Well talked to Vince at Messicks - nice guy - pulled the part of the shelf and sent me a couple of photos just to make sure we were talking about the same part - it was a sub but looked like a fit.

Unfortunately american greedy capitalist (not Vince) want nearly $600 for a $99 part - so I went to plan B. Thanks Vince.

I put the old one on the test bench ... was able to isolate enough of the broken feed wire to hook it up to the power supply - solenoid worked, current looked good so I called it serviceable. Soldered a solder wick pig tail to it - a little heat shrink and nail polish - and its as good as new - Will install it tomorrow and see if it will put the 555B in neutral when activated!

In the mean time, if you have or know of PN 83960469 or a scraped out 555B with the original valve on it - I will personally fly to your location to retrieve it - obviously these valve bodies are made from pure GOLD!
dump valve.jpg
PS If you need one fixed - Call me!

:tractor: