Fuel Cap on JD 4310

/ Fuel Cap on JD 4310 #1  

HeyNow

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
My 4310 is relatively new (25 hours). I have a question regarding the fuel cap. After I fill the tank up, and try and replace the cap, I only get two or three turns on the fuel cap and it let's loose and pops up. Do the fuel caps tighten all the way down and fit snuggly, or do they ratchet after completely being tightened? I always smell fuel after refueling.

Thanks,

/ Fuel Cap on JD 4310 #2  
If the 4310 is like a 4610 it screws down just like a cap on a milk jug. No ratcheting, it just gets tight. It sounds like (maybe) you have cross-threaded the fuel cap? Could be a bad fuel cap too though.

/ Fuel Cap on JD 4310 #4  
Mine will tighten down. It does not ratchet.

/ Fuel Cap on JD 4310 #5  
Mine tightens down just fine. Never tried to turn it tight enough to see if it ratchets or not.
You might check to see if either the fill neck, or the cap is split. If either one is, it will do what you describe.
Good luck,

DT

/ Fuel Cap on JD 4310 #6  
HeyNow,

Something is wrong, they should go on and tighten up.

/ Fuel Cap on JD 4310 #7  
If you have been getting any amount of fuel run off down the tube on the side of the frame the side with the serial # you may want to wash that area as on my old 4300 I guess I iver filled it one time and it must have gone down that tube and onto the paint on the frame. Well after time it made the paint crack off and before I sold it I had to do a little touch up painting. It was not bad but just wanted to let you know.

/ Fuel Cap on JD 4310
Thanks everyone! I'll take my cap back into the dealer and see if he will replace it. Hopefully it's the cap and not the tank. I'm unable to tighten mine down without it popping back up loose after two or three turns....

You folks are very helpful. Thanks again.