Options for replacing power steering hose and tube assembly on Ford 545

/ Options for replacing power steering hose and tube assembly on Ford 545 #1  

parish

Tractor
Ford 545
Seems like any time I get into brush it ends up costing a lot in one way or another. Yesterday I broke a hose on the power steering cylinder for probably the third time. The Ford part number is D8NN3R762AB. Last time was about 5 years ago and the hose assembly was 40 bucks. Now it's 100. I never thought the hard return after the flexible hose transitions to the small diameter tube was a good idea. I'm wondering if anyone has just used a single length of flexible hydraulic hose in that application and if so, what the ideal length would be.
Thanks for any advice.
Wayne

/ Options for replacing power steering hose and tube assembly on Ford 545 #2  
I'd have to measure the hose again but I did exactly what your talking about. I cut the supply line back about 18", flared and added a 3/8 jic nut on the end. I bought the hose from Surplus Center and the fittings from Discount Hydraulics. I bought my machine at an auction and 3 out of the 4 lines were broken. It was simple and straight forward to do. There's a couple of things I will change in the future. I'll point them out when I post a picture later today.

/ Options for replacing power steering hose and tube assembly on Ford 545
I'd have to measure the hose again but I did exactly what your talking about. I cut the supply line back about 18", flared and added a 3/8 jic nut on the end. I bought the hose from Surplus Center and the fittings from Discount Hydraulics. I bought my machine at an auction and 3 out of the 4 lines were broken. It was simple and straight forward to do. There's a couple of things I will change in the future. I'll point them out when I post a picture later today.

Thanks, City Farmer.

Yes, a picture will be helpful. I looked at the setup again today in the daylight and I believe the redesign is doable. The real issue is the location of the plumbing connections being so close to the bottom of the axle. It makes them and the lines attached to them vulnerable to damage from beneath.

I'll look forward to your picture(s).

/ Options for replacing power steering hose and tube assembly on Ford 545 #4  
My 345c had the same thing done to it long before it became mine. I too was shocked at the price NH wanted for them. Mine are about due for replacement again. I'm going to form a metal shield below mine to keep brush from grabbing them, and have even pondered doing a "U" out of two fitting elbows to help with the extreme reverse the line makes. City Farmer, I too would like to see your pictures!

here's mine -

/ Options for replacing power steering hose and tube assembly on Ford 545 #5  
I've tried 4x to upload the pictures today. I've uploaded 156 pictures exactly the same way and now it's not working. I'll try looking at my settings, maybe something got changed.

/ Options for replacing power steering hose and tube assembly on Ford 545
Thanks, Guys.
I found a hose in the shed with the correct length and fittings, put it on and am back in business. Although, the loop made by the hose does look like a brush grabber. I found a used assembly online and may order it. But I also thought about using two elbows as you suggested, joecdeere. Isn't it amazing how stressful it can be when your baby breaks down?

/ Options for replacing power steering hose and tube assembly on Ford 545 #7  
For the heck of it, I tried uploading the pictures again and it worked. I'm going to let it ride like this for a little while. If the lines break again, I'll make some kind of steel guard to protect the lines.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,266
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,147
   / Options for replacing power steering hose and tube assembly on Ford 545 #8  
City Farmer, how are you dealing with feeding and returning from the right hand cylinder?

/ Options for replacing power steering hose and tube assembly on Ford 545 #9  
Here's the other side. It works fine for now but I'm not happy with one of the hoses. Its to short and has to many turns in it. I'll cut it back, re-flange, get a longer hose and add some swivel fittings. I'll add some corrugated plastic over the hose that's up against the frame too. I ordered all the fittings from discount, hoses from surplus center and the hydraulic tube from McMaster.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,485