Perkins smoke

/ Perkins smoke #1  

danec71

Tractor
massey mf200
Engine is a Perkins ad3 152 around a 1973.so I just found out it has no valve seals just the valve guides.the engine has Alittle bluish colored smoke coming out not real heavy but it's there. I was thinking valve seals could be the problem but doesn't have any.could the valve guides be a problem with burning oil.the other thing is I put new rings on this motor when I got it.it was froze from sitting.i honed out the cylinders best I could there was some pitting although it was very minor after the honing but I suppose it could still be enough for oil to be trapped and burned even thoug it would be below where it would combust?maybe because of that rings weren't able to seat properly?also I put some 30 weight oil in there and I reading because it wasn't hd type maybe getting past rings?looking for suggestions or a proper way to follow for diagnosis.thinking I may go ahead and pull head and redo guides just for the heck of it.thanks alot

/ Perkins smoke #2  
Diesels use a C (Compression) rated oil whereas gassers use an S (Spark) rated oil. Has to do with the additives. Not a petroleum engr. but I'd stay with the appropriate oil as the diesel is usually rated as a heavy duty oil. Again I don't know what that entails but one would expect heavy duty operations to be via a diesel for numerous reasons of which I'm sure most know of the reasons.

What is the problem you are experiencing that needs corrective action? Is the "bluish colored smoke" causing problems with starting or operating? Low on lugging power? How long have you had it...aka how many hours on the overhaul? Did you seat the rings after you did the OH? Is it an asthetic thing?

/ Perkins smoke #3  
I had a 180 with an A4.236. Had a slight blue smoke due to an injector. Had it rebuilt, and took care of the problem. Tell tale sign was some exhaust splatter on the hood, and slobber out of the exhaust pipe.

However, if the cylinders were pitted, and as mentioned if the rings weren't seated in pretty well, oil may be getting by. And if pitting is bad enough, and rings seated, could still let oil by.

I had a Farmall M with an M&W .060 over kit in it. I found out later that had been stuck from water. PO apparently honed, and put in new rings. If I pulled it hard there was no problem. Sold it to a friend who basically ginned it around, and started slobbering oil. Ended up looking all over creation for a new liner, and luckily found one. Replaced it, and new rings, and solved the problem.

/ Perkins smoke
Engine starts within 2 seconds of cranking and power seems fine.as far as time on the new rebuild it has only been started and ran in place a few times I don't have the tracks son it yet to drive it.i bought rebuilt injectors for it but it is possible maybe they weren't set at the right operating pressure? I could take them in to be checked I suppose.i thought I have read that a fuel problem is indicated by a different colored smoke.i don't know.still wondering if the valve guides are a possible oil problem.its to bad I didn't replace the liners but the little pitting there was is mainly below the level of were it would combust and I was able to hone it out pretty decent.probably is my problem

/ Perkins smoke #5  
If you haven't been able to put a good load on the engine, the rings probably haven't seated yet, and that could be the cause of the blue smoke. If it's just a touch of blue smoke, I'd hold off pulling the head until you can get the tracks back on it and run it around enough to get it up to operating temperature for a while.

/ Perkins smoke #6  
Back in the ring: Seat the rings then worry about the smoke. How do you do that? I do it by controlled lugging aka put a plow behind it and work it, varying the depth (load on the engine) and rpms, up and down every so often while you ensure the temp remains under control. If it starts getting over tstat opening temp, back off till it cools back then back at it. This time of year is a great time to bring in a set of rings. I just now have 20 hrs on my 2400 and what I told you is what I have been doing to it. Starting and running a lot smoother now and tranny shifting is starting to limber up a little. Hard to get used to buying new tractors when for 30 years in the past all I had was somebody's old worn out castaways and they were so worn and sloppy they wouldn't stay in gear.

/ Perkins smoke
Alright thanks I will put in a more heavy type diesel oil and try setting these rings and see what happens.pretty much what I was looking for a progression of things to try