Bolt / hardware bin storage solution.

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #21  
I have a shelf full of storage bins
image_23120.jpg

Labeled on end. Just grab the size or type needed

That's what I have out in the shed/workshop.
I've also re-purposed 1 litre icecream tubs for larger stuff... I could have easily used large glass coffee jars but I could see them falling and shattering on the concrete floor (with the subsequent clean-up/salvage pain).

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #22  
Bought some large and small rotobins at local estate and business auctions. They hold other useful farm stuff besides nuts, bolts and washers.

I set mine up so I don't have to bend over to reach the bottom compartments. It would be fairly easy to make up wood versions of this with lazy susan bearings.

Attachments

• 178.jpg
    178.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
   / Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #23  
I think that would be great for nails and lag bolts... will need to keep an eye open.

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #24  
I use bins similar to this. They can get saggy hanging on the wall from the weight of bolts. So I screwed a 2x4 to the wall studs. Then sat these on the 2x4. And secured. They sag a little but not enough to bother the function. They can be labeled and then are also removable if I need too. ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1455938865.208976.jpg

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #25  
I have got boxes after boxes of akro bins. Place I used to work at used them. Over the years, labels were put on over top of labels and marker written all over them, and different colors (yellow, blue, red), etc. Foolish decision (IMO) came down from upper management to replace every single bin in the stock room. And those that wanted any of the old ones could help themselves:thumbsup:

And yep, pretty much indestructible. Have used them to put parts in with a little carb clean or diesel to decrease something, put them under a carb to catch dripping gas so it dont get all over the floor while working on it, etc. As well as to store all my parts too. They hold up really well

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #26  
I have a sheet of plywood with 8" deep shelves nailed to it approx 7" apart. Then I use peanut butter jars and salad dressing jars to store wood working screws and nails. The bottom half of the panel I use the same shelves but put use little red or blue trays like folks mentioned.

I have every size nuts, washers, and common bolt lengths for each size. I have possibly 100-150 bins and get containers as fast as I can eat toast and salad dressing.

All the organizers are free but the wood maybe cost $75. It seems like the peanut butter plastic jars can take a hit without breaking and are sealed from the dust also.

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #27  
I have the industrial type blue steel rack with about 60 bins or whatever for my standard nuts and bolts. I also have a "disease" called TMS. 'To Much Sh,t' and find it hard to throw anything out . For many of the small assortments of nuts, bolts , nails, screws and stuff like that I use the clear plastic peanut butter jars. Put a large white label on the side and write on the contents. Easy to organize and also good to keep small parts together for a particular project. Glass jars usually fall and break. I always thought if I needed more jars I would go to the Salvation Army store or whatever and get them to ask their customers to drop some off and give them a donation or whatever they ask. Makes most people feel good about recycling. Didn't see the post above about the jars until I posted this.
Al

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #28  
   / Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #29  
Drop by Lowes or Home Depot. They have a metal shelf model on wheels that has sturdy gray bins that can be divided.
I also have this one from them.
Stalwart 24 Bin Parts Storage Rack Trays-75-24BIN - The Home Depot
Another source
Wire Shelving, Wire Shelving Units & Storage Shelves in Stock - Uline
This is the one I have that I got at HD
Amazon.com - Seville Classics Commercial 7-Shelf 16-Bin Rack Storage System, NSF Certified - General Purpose Storage Racks

Hope this helps

I have an identical one to the Amazon listing. Bought at SAMs club. Well worth the money. Although bins would be a little big for bolts I think. They are perfect for plumbing supplies. Nothing like just reaching into a bin and knowing its full of 3/4 couplers or 1" tees or 2" shut offs. There's also a phone number with it that allows you to order more deviders for the bins.

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #30  
What's wrong with 2 or 3 5 gallon buckets? It only takes about 30 minutes to find the right bolt. Nuts take another 30 minutes.