Bolt / hardware bin storage solution.

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #1  

fxdb96

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson
With a new tractor on the way I figured it wise to organize the garage a little better to make some room. One project will be to eliminate my 6 different places i store nuts bolts and hardware and consolidate. Anyone have any slick ideas? I am leaning towards this cart in the pic Screenshot_2016-02-18-18-35-45.jpg

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #2  
I just know if I had that, I would someday bump it and knock it over. :)

My storage is all fastened to a wall.

Bruce

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution.
I just know if I had that, I would someday bump it and knock it over. :)

My storage is all fastened to a wall.

Bruce

Hahahah. What i really want is the 1600 dollar cabinet thay holds the akro bins

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #4  
Years ago before all these fancy things were available I made up a portable station from a few pieces of 3/4 particleboard to hold HF bins.

tool rack.jpg

I designed it to hold 48 of the 41949 bins but can easily go wider. Only takes up 6 inches out from the wall on my workbench top.

If you have wall space mount osb or plywood. I didn't have that option at the time and this was easier to move. Of course there are steel mounting plates available too. Someone gave me one of the 19 x36 slotted steel backing plates recently. I haven't mounted it yet but did just paint it.

Search results for: 'tool bins'

I think Akro bins are more rigid than the HF variety but cost more too.

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #5  
I bought a Harbor fright unit and was not happy with it. Too flimsy and its just junk.

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #6  
I have a shelf full of storage bins
image_23120.jpg

Labeled on end. Just grab the size or type needed

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #7  
I've got several sets of the small HF bins on a plywood wall panel, that let me sort out nuts according to size and thread and washers. Bolts are mixed length but all the same thread so that isn't too bad. Beats dumping out several coffee cans of stuff and searching every time. Got a few of the small multi-drawer cabinets for wire terminals, and small machine screws.

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #8  
With a new tractor on the way I figured it wise to organize the garage a little better to make some room. One project will be to eliminate my 6 different places i store nuts bolts and hardware and consolidate. Anyone have any slick ideas? I am leaning towards this cart in the picView attachment 457501

Looks good, I suggest you get 2 of them. Things pile up fast, at least in my case.;)

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #9  
I like the actual "bolt bins".

I have a couple of the 72 hole versions McMaster-Carr

I also have a bunch of the plastic bins like shown in post #6. Use them for small items.
One is full of taps
One is left handed drills and extractors
One is full of sheet metal screws and lags
One for anything smaller than 1/4" bolts, like all the machine screw nuts and bolts
One full of electrical crimp on stuff, like forks, eyelets, blades, butt connectors, etc
One full of brass fittings. Compression fittings and barbs

I got them at HF, cheap and effective. If you get some of those, get more than one. You can interchange the bins inside to better organize stuff if needed. I have one that is full of all the really small bins. Thats for the electrical stuff, since you can get alot of them in each small container. The one with taps is mostly the larger containers. But its nice they are customizable

/ Bolt / hardware bin storage solution. #10  
I went through the same thing. For $50.00 bought a 48 hole metal bolt storage bins. Wall mounted works great. Also use for smaller "stuff", pint mason jars with the lid screw to the bottom of a few shevles. I can see what I want and easy access.