Case 395 Hydraulic Questions

/ Case 395 Hydraulic Questions #1  

LeedsCase

Tractor
Case 395
As the title says, I have a Case 395. It has sat for a while, 1 year plus, and when it came time to start using it again I changed the engine oil and filter, fuel filter, gave it a good lube. It doesn't have a loader or any other attachments, just a tractor with a 3 point hitch.
I drove it a bit and noticed the hydraulic down force wasn't that effective, so I realized I'd not changed the hydraulic filter or oil, so I decided to change that as well. I

Right after the hydraulic oil change, it took a bit for the hydraulics to respond to the controls, and now the hydraulics are jerky and slow to respond.
By jerky I mean when I move the control lever from the full down position to the full up position, the 3 point hitch doesn't respond for a few seconds, then it raises a bit, pauses, raises a bit again, repeating until it gets to the position indicated by the control lever.
The downforce still isn't that forceful, so now I have 2 problems instead of 1, not the direction I was hoping to go in.

I haven't sprung for the service manual, so I don't have a hydraulic schematic, and am trying to figure out where to start.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to the direction I should take?

TIA John

/ Case 395 Hydraulic Questions #2  
Yes, spring for the service manual.

/ Case 395 Hydraulic Questions #3  
First off, I'm not familiar with that tractor, but I doubt it has downforce on the 3-point. If it does, its unlike any other Case tractor I've been around. Downforce is a very uncommon feature. I think the jerky action of the 3-point will go away if you can put a good load on it. It sounds like its just air trapped in the system that hasn't been purged yet.

Kim

/ Case 395 Hydraulic Questions #4  
No downforce on a CaseIH tractor unless it has been heavily modified.

X2 on putting a load on the hitch and cycling it.

/ Case 395 Hydraulic Questions
I thought all of the modern tractors had downforce. (1991 being modern shows my age I guess). Thanks for the instruction on the downforce. It hasn't been modified, it is as stock as you can get.

I will put a load on it and cycle it. I only had the landscape rake on it and worked it around the yard a bit. I'll put the dirt scoop on and work it a bit and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help

/ Case 395 Hydraulic Questions #6  
I worked on dozens of 395s. No down force.

/ Case 395 Hydraulic Questions #7  
I thought all of the modern tractors had downforce. (1991 being modern shows my age I guess). Thanks for the instruction on the downforce. It hasn't been modified, it is as stock as you can get.

I will put a load on it and cycle it. I only had the landscape rake on it and worked it around the yard a bit. I'll put the dirt scoop on and work it a bit and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help

No downforce on 395, or any similar IHs.

Make sure you have the draft lever to "heavy" so your position control level works right.

Also, you likely have to purge any air from the system from changing the filter, keep using it, steering wheel, PTO, 3pt hitch, pull remote lever (if equipped) etc