Is my selenoid faulty?

/ Is my selenoid faulty? #1  

pigsfoot

Tractor
Countax
Hi, I think my ( brand new ) solenoid may be faulty but just need conformation before i return it to be replaced.

My battery is fully charged showing just over 12 volts. The solenoid is a 4 pole one so i connected negative from the battery with jump leads to one of the spade connectors and positive from battery onto the other spade connector.

The solenoid clicks but when i check across the two top connectors on the solenoid i get nothing with my multi meter.

I also connected the negative on the multi meter to the negative on the battery with the jump lead still connected to one of the spade connectors on the solenoid. I then hooked up the positive from the battery to the other spade connector, the solenoid then clicks. If the check across the top connectors on the solenoid with the positive from the multi meter at best i get around 0.5 volts ?

Whats confusing me is the solenoid is clicking... but does this means its working... according to the multi meter its not but could just do with someone confirming. I bought a new one as this is just what the old one does so i'm not 100% this is the problem.... or am i just unlucky and the new one is also faulty :-(

The battery being used is quite old but it was fully charged and does read at just over 12 volts.

Thanks.

/ Is my selenoid faulty? #2  
Your positive battery cable may be corroded away to nothing under the insulation at the battery clamp end.

The negative cable may be rusted at the end away from the battery.

Remove both cables, clean both ends, check continuity.

Let us know what you find.

Here is a good video on troubleshooting starter problems: Starter Voltage Drop - YouTube

/ Is my selenoid faulty? #3  
A picture of the solenoid would be helpful??

What I'm understanding is when you activate the solenoid (click) and then check for power at the high amp output terminal you get nothing??? You have a high amp wire running from the positive side of the battery to the input high amp post on the solenoid?? To check the high amp output terminal you would attach the positive lead of your multi-meter to that terminal and ground the other lead to the battery ground. Should measure battery voltage.

/ Is my selenoid faulty? #4  
In simple terms: If you have battery voltage on the hi current input terminal from the source voltage and you activate the coil so that that current flows, it clicks and pulls in, AND you have no voltage on the output hi current terminal, then by definition, you have a defective unit.

The high current contacts are burned/corroded/burnt so that good contact is not being made. If the coil does not energize, it doesn't pull up and you hear no click, then start troubleshooting the coil circuit to see what the problem is there. BUT you know the coil is energizing by the audible click, so i you go no or low voltage on the output and you have battery voltage on the input contact then YES it is defective.

Of course all of this is predicated on that yes you have good battery voltage on the input high current contact as verified by your meter.