Not many real one's left!

/ Not many real one's left! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
As the title says, there just isn't too many real old timey machine shops left. I had a good one about 35 miles from me and it closed about 6 months ago. Very busy shop too. I think the old owner was just too old and wanted to retire completely. Nothing there now. I now have to go 90 miles to get to the nearest machine shop that can actually grind a crank. Back story: I have a '52 8N that I've had for a long time. After getting the new Kubota last April, I decided to give the old girl a thorough going through and rebuild for the engine. I took everything apart and purchased a sleeve puller from a great fellow that machines them for the "N" engines. Got some dry ice and installed the new sleeves with red sleeve locker. I had the crank turned and it was at max after that, so this was the last time for this crank. Everything ready to go with new valves pistons etc etc. The oil pump on these engines is part of the front main on the crank so they are made to be rebuilt with new gears installed. I sent it too a fellow that does this and he said it was in the worst condition he had ever seen an oil pump. Recommended I get a new oil pump and new gears. This I did and put the new gears in myself. With a new pump (front main bearing), I had to take the block to the machine shop to have the mains line bored. That took a long time as the machinists was having to take his wife for treatments. I finally got it back several months later. Installed the engine and it cranked up and ran like a top with a little adjusting on the valve lashings. Life was good and the old girl was being used again with the 5' finishing mower, a life of leisure compared to what ever past stories lived within the heart of the old gal. Then suddenly, no oil pressure. Didn't make any strange noises or anything, just noticed very low oil pressure. Here we go again, pulled the oil pan and checked bearings and ruh roh...not good. very scarred up. I pulled the engine and sent the oil pump to the above mentioned fellow and he told me that one of the gears had gotten cocked in the pump and fixed it (he has a jig for doing this correctly) for me. Meanwhile, remember the crank was already turned to the max...so...I had to get another crank now. Got one off of ebay that the guy said was still at std bearings/mains. I received it and tried to take it to the above mentioned machine shop and it was closed and gone. I'm thinking what the heck now? I went to a city about 40 miles away to a machine shop that I had used in the distant past, when I worked in that city, to have it looked at. The machinist at that parts store told me he did not grind cranks anymore but measured and said he would polish it. So he did and wrote down and told me to use .001/.001 (Not .01, but .001) bearings and they would be sort of hard to find. I got some off of ebay. I then start putting everything back together and as I would put in a bearing, I would then turn the crank to make sure it was not too tight. Got all the mains in and everything was good, very snug but turned without too much force. So, I started on the rod bearings and installing the pistons. Got to about #3 (four cylinder engine) and suddenly the crank was way too tight at torque. I started to turn the crank backwards to put that bearing/piston so I could loosen the nuts and it happened...ouch...the crank nut broke off in the snout of the crankshaft. Now What? I got out the easy outs and started drilling into the bolt. Not happening, even with new drill bits. ugh. Went to store, nothing any different there. Got on the internet and found out about fluted carbon bits and how almighty they are for drilling into hardened steel. Ordered several. Yeah baby, worked great at low speed with oil. Whoops, easy out broke. Dang it, glad no one was around to see an old fart pitch a hissy fit complete with wild gesturing...lol. After a long talk with The Almighty about my short comings... Tried drilling that out with a larger carbon bit, worked pretty good. No easy out big enough now. Back to store and get larger easy out. Still not working and figured I better quit before making an even bigger mess. I don't like throwing in the towel, but these cranks are getting harder to find. I looked for a machine shop that could grind a crank and called around...none to be had this side of 90 miles. I called 90+ miles and nice lady at a cnc shop told me of a real old machine shop that does this work. Hot diggity dog. I drive way up there and leave the crank and fessed up to all that I had done to the poor thing. The head guy laughed and got out his measuring tools and said it did not measure up to what the guy that polished it said. I sort of figured that. I left it and that was 10 days ago, I'll call in the morning and see if it got fixed. I work a week and off a week and I'm off this week. We shall see. What a mess....lol. Glad I have the orange tractor or I would have been in a real mess this past summer. Just a long tale of my woes to entertain you guys. :ashamed: As I said, the old machine shops are just disappearing. One guy told me that people just buy a new crank instead of having them machined. :confused2:

/ Not many real one's left!
Here is a pic of what an N model oil pump looks like and is the front main on the engine also.

/ Not many real one's left! #3  
Here's hoping it all comes together for you...

Had some real good shops around here with excellent old equipment that did good work... not a single one left with a shop... those that are still open just sell parts.

Thanks, I suspect they are disappearing due to the chemicals they have to use, at the shops, and the disposal thereof.

/ Not many real one's left! #5  
The cost of machining can be a small fortune. When we blew up the engine in our Massey it was cheaper for me to buy a new crank than it was to have one machined by $20. If we had scarred the crank too bad it could have potentially been even more.

/ Not many real one's left! #6  
Thanks, I suspect they are disappearing due to the chemicals they have to use, at the shops, and the disposal thereof.

It won't be so far in the future where technology replaces a lot of the needs of full machine shops...it won't be long before there will be a machine where you drop a "crank" in the hopper at one end and get a brand new, to OEM specs crank at the other...

With 3D printer and CNC technology...just add a little plasma/heat tech and it's a reality...(actually been around a long time...just not economically feasible)

/ Not many real one's left! #7  
We are losing skilled guys as well. Worldwide phenomena.
Years ago Repco and another shop did all that work in our local town. They both closed shop and the machinist at Repco started up working at home. That would have been 25 /30 years ago but now he has had enough too. He did a great job but now stuff has to be sent off to Brisbane. Dying trade I guess.

/ Not many real one's left! #8  
It's more to do with being a throwaway society... the perception is new is better and environmentally friendly.

I do like old iron mostly because what is around has stood the test of time... something about equipment that was designed to last.

Also reminds of a time when made in America was the norm...

/ Not many real one's left! #9  
Yep machine shops are going the way of tv repairmen, watch repairmen, appliance repair, ect. I feel lucky of having the opportunity to have worked with the last of the old school carpenters back in the early 70's. That kind of knowledge, like machinist , is just about gone.

I think another by gone era would be the service stations that also did minor car repairs/shocks/tires/fuel/tune ups/oil and fluid changes. I have a '66 mustang which I've owned for a long time. I had to learn how to do valve lash settings and points/plugs etc on a VW Bug that I had many years ago. That helped me quite a bit when I got the old mustang. My boys (young at the time around 11 and 9) were so amazed when we got the stang home and it was sold as is, running rough and generally not well. I went to the parts store and got a carb kit/points/plugs etc and in one afternoon had the old 289 running at it's potential. They were just flabbergasted that I knew how to do this stuff. :eek: Ol' dad definitely gained some respect that day, they still ask me about a problem they might have with one of their newer cars these days. I can usually point them in the right direction and helped them all the time when they had first reached driving age and helped them get a car that just needed a little TLC to have it in top shape. They are long grown and gone now but still ask me every now and then if one of their buddies has a problem. Ahhhh, the good old days crawling around under an old car...lol. I still do on the mustang occasionally...my old body lets me know about it the next day too :confused2: