Replacing blades and stump jumper on brush hog... TRAINWRECK!!!!

/ Replacing blades and stump jumper on brush hog... TRAINWRECK!!!! #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
I should have taken pictures ... What I thought would be an easy job turned out to be a train wreck!!!

The overall condition of the unit is an 8 out of 10 so I thought new blades and a new stump jumper was in order ... the old SJ was slightly bent just enough to raise the tips of the blades to close to the deck.

A little penetrating oil over night and all should come loose ... NOT!!

Long story short ... I ended up torching both blade nuts to get them off ... then the SJ I ended up cutting the nut off carefully as to not damage the shaft from the gear box and then remove the SJ.

It wouldn't budge .... so I got the idea (cause no puller big enough) to tip over the unit hook chains thru the blade holes and place a nut on the gear box shaft, surely the weight of the hog and a quick blow with a hammer off it would come ...NOT ... so I applied heat not much cause I didn't want to heat the seal and then a swift blow of the hammer and BANG the darn gear box shaft Busted clean off!!!!

At this point the frustration set in and the SJ was cut into two halves and removed.

NOW on order is a new gear box.

/ Replacing blades and stump jumper on brush hog... TRAINWRECK!!!! #2  
Tell yourself that the shaft was defective or it wouldn't have broke. That makes the ordeal seem as if you had a plan....

/ Replacing blades and stump jumper on brush hog... TRAINWRECK!!!! #3  
That's how it works for me usually...

/ Replacing blades and stump jumper on brush hog... TRAINWRECK!!!! #4  
Ah fun fun! I had to replace a seal in my one gearbox on the bottom of the output shaft. What a bear to work on your back with that bugger. I ended up using a chain sling and my jack out of my truck to put some pressure on the tapered fit collar to finally get it to pop. I did leave the nut on the shaft so i didn't damage it or drop the stump jumper on my head. :D I feel your pain though, none of my projects seems to go according to plan!

/ Replacing blades and stump jumper on brush hog... TRAINWRECK!!!! #5  
I had the same problem with the stump jumper on mine. Soaked it, applied tension by holding the nut and unscrewing the fine thread bolt about halfway up the nut. Chain sounded like a banjo string when tapped on.

P9100003.JPG

P9100016.JPG

P9100020.JPG

P9100022.JPG

/ Replacing blades and stump jumper on brush hog... TRAINWRECK!!!!
Tell yourself that the shaft was defective or it wouldn't have broke. That makes the ordeal seem as if you had a plan....

Okay ... yep it probably would have broke the next time I was using it ... go thru the deck hit the cab, break a window and then go sailing off and kill a cow ... sure am happy I'm replacing it!!

Ah fun fun! I had to replace a seal in my one gearbox on the bottom of the output shaft. What a bear to work on your back with that bugger. I ended up using a chain sling and my jack out of my truck to put some pressure on the tapered fit collar to finally get it to pop. I did leave the nut on the shaft so i didn't damage it or drop the stump jumper on my head. :D I feel your pain though, none of my projects seems to go according to plan!

Plans I think are made to replan!!!

I had the same problem with the stump jumper on mine. Soaked it, applied tension by holding the nut and unscrewing the fine thread bolt about halfway up the nut. Chain sounded like a banjo string when tapped on.

good plan ... I think this one would have stretched the chain!!!!

I've decided to go all out ... New gear box, new Stump Jumper, new blades, new PTO shaft ... old PTO shaft has no guard and has a slight twist in it. I'll spend about $500

Oh well ... less than a new one. Maybe I'll even sandblast and paint!!!!

Oh how this plan has been altered!!!

/ Replacing blades and stump jumper on brush hog... TRAINWRECK!!!! #10  
Thank you for helping to convince me never to take my stump jumper or blades off my 5' hog. Something is bound to go wrong when you need 330 lbf-ft of torque to tighten/loosen.