Good Bench Vise Recommendations

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #21  
I think that the imported Yost vises are made in Taiwan, rather than mainland China, going off things I've read elsewhere. Not that it's a big distinction, but some people claim generally higher quality for similar items made in Taiwan.

Agree. Frankly, Taiwan has made high quality products for decades and the mainland Chinese put a man in space so either is fully capable of making a decent vise. It all boils down to what the US marketing company (Yost in this case) specifies and what company they contract with.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #22  
Another vote here for looking on Craigslist.

I just looked in our region and saw quite a few made back when steel (or forged iron) from a quality American company was pretty much a guarantee the thing is unbreakable.

This is one instance where newer isn't necessarily better, because the quality of imports varies all over the range.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #23  
Several years ago I inherited my great grandfather's 3" Wilton bullet vise. I'm sure someday my great grandson will inherit it from me and it will still be a great vise.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations
No luck on Craigslist - Ill look through the garage sales

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #27  
You can also set CL or Search Tempest to search within a given radius you are willing to drive.

Yep, I use Search Tempest with a 150 mile radius, encompasses Des Moines and Kansas City without me having to do two searches for those cities.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #28  
I don't know where my dad bought this one?? BUT, I'm sure it was used when he got it!

standard.jpg

We've had it as long as I can remember, surely more than 50 years! Dad is gone now, and I'm still putting that vise to good use, in fact I used it today and it made me think of this thread!

SR

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #29  
Was not sure where to put this. I did do a search, but not much came up.

My 30 year old 4" vice is showing its age. I keep finding I wish I had a bigger one sometimes. I do use the anvil and pipe holding jaws under the main vice, but was hoping to find something more versatile. Harbor freight is out, at least for this size as one I got my son lasted 3 years before striping out. I dont want to spend a lot of $$$, just wanting something that is good and has worked for folks. I'm guessing I need and 8" model. I have access to Lowe's, Home Depot, TSC. and Harbor Freight as well as ACE and TRU Value. Online is OK if shipping is reasonable.

Can folks recommend what has worked for them? Pictures would help too.

I use Wilton pipe vises.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200334217_200334217

20 years ago they cost $50.00 and didn't offer the fancy degree gauge or the angle lock as the angle locks when the vise gets tight.

26055851081_44349cd2e2_h.jpg

25519570583_ef49844481_h.jpg

Last edited:
   / Good Bench Vise Recommendations #30  
I don't know where my dad bought this one?? BUT, I'm sure it was used when he got it!

We've had it as long as I can remember, surely more than 50 years! Dad is gone now, and I'm still putting that vise to good use, in fact I used it today and it made me think of this thread!

SR

I've two vises that were my Grandfather's, and I first used them about 1960. Still being put to good use and I think of my Grandfather every time I use them.