Good Bench Vise Recommendations

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Was not sure where to put this. I did do a search, but not much came up.

My 30 year old 4" vice is showing its age. I keep finding I wish I had a bigger one sometimes. I do use the anvil and pipe holding jaws under the main vice, but was hoping to find something more versatile. Harbor freight is out, at least for this size as one I got my son lasted 3 years before striping out. I dont want to spend a lot of $$$, just wanting something that is good and has worked for folks. I'm guessing I need and 8" model. I have access to Lowe's, Home Depot, TSC. and Harbor Freight as well as ACE and TRU Value. Online is OK if shipping is reasonable.

Can folks recommend what has worked for them? Pictures would help too.

Last edited:
   / Good Bench Vise Recommendations #2  
They are all over the map on price. I was on Wilson's site. I don't understand how you can justify a few grand for a vise. when I worked in manufacturing time is money. If it were to fail, it could cost you. But what are they doing to make it so much better?

I want American made, I look around on Craigs list, seems people know what they are worth though.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #3  
Just get a Record, now bought by IRWIN.

A friend kept ridiculing my junky Chinese Vice. After breaking the third one and getting a free replacement, I saw his point. I found a discounted Record at Habitat For Humanity Restore and have been pleased.

I see many good vices selling cheap at auction.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #4  
There really is no such thing as a good, inexpensive, 8" vise. The only companies I know of that still make bench/mechanics type vises in the U.S. are Wilton and Yost. You're best bet is probably looking on Craigslist for an older Wilton, Yost, Columbian, etc. I'm pretty sure the current "Record" vises sold by Irwin are made in China...I think the UK facility was shut down completely. :-(

The lower model Yost vises are good, but aren't made in the U.S. The lower end Wiltons like what they sell at Lowes are pretty much junk.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #6  
Enco has about the best prices on wilton vises that I have found. Sign up for their mailing list and they throw out 20% off offers pretty regularly. Still not cheap, but probably the best vise you can buy for the smallest amount of money. I did manage to find a brand new Snapon branded wilton for 200 dollars and craigslist. Im pretty sure they sent the snapon guy one to many by mistake and that's why he was selling it so cheap. I don't think I would pony up the money for a 8 inch vise, holy- cow.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #7  
Sure. Who wouldn't want "Made In USA" on just about anything, but not everything made in China is Junk. You can have pretty much any quality stuff made there. Having said that, My IRWIN vice just doesn't have the feel of a quality thirty year old vice.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #8  
   / Good Bench Vise Recommendations #10  
Here's another vote for a used Wilton or the like!

SR