Unknown Spring Srcrew

/ Unknown Spring Srcrew #1  

tdilweg78

Tractor
Cub Cadet LTX 1045
Hello,

I own a LTX 1045 Cub Cadet Mower. I was taking one of the axle assembly (MTD 638-04027) off because it was severely jammed. I had to hammer it out with a mallet because it was stuck so bad. In the process of hammered out the Axle assembly, I accident hit a nipple like screw with a spring inside of it (pictured below). I was able to screw the broken piece of the screw out but I can't seem to find a replacement for this part without having to buy a whole new front axle. There has to be a part to replace this small piece without buying a whole new from axle correct?!?! The axle on is mower is a 7-9-04413A. Let me know if you can shed any light on this for me.

I have also attached 2 other pictures. One being the full axle and the other picture as a zoomed pictured showing the screw/bolt I broke on my axle.

Attachments

• IMG_7342.jpg
    IMG_7342.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 126
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 98
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 107
   / Unknown Spring Srcrew #4  
^What he said^ Any auto parts store and most hardware stores can fix you up. Take the old thread with you to get the right size.

/ Unknown Spring Srcrew #5  
You'll likely need an "E-Z Out" to remove the broken end of the old zerk - possibly a drill bit to enlarge the hole in the center of it so that the ezout fits correctly. Be gentle. The tips of ezouts can and will break off, leaving you with a more difficult situation. If you have or have access to a left-hand twist drill bit, it may just come right out with that and no ezout needed.

BTW, welcome to the forum, and great post! You included perfectly descriptive pics and everything!

:welcome: :thumbsup:

/ Unknown Spring Srcrew #6  
Well, I guess we know why the axle was seized now!

Once you replace the zerk, if you pump some grease in it periodically, the axles won't seize up on you. Those little nipple-springy-screw-thingies are really good for greasing.

/ Unknown Spring Srcrew #7  
Exactly what I was thinking!
There are probably more of those spring/screw thingys on your machine. Find them and love them.

/ Unknown Spring Srcrew #8  
Well, I guess we know why the axle was seized now!

Once you replace the zerk, if you pump some grease in it periodically, the axles won't seize up on you. Those little nipple-springy-screw-thingies are really good for greasing.

Please cut down on the "Tech Talk"... Grease thingy or dohicky is fine. :irked:

:)