Mahindra 2415 No Start after roll

/ Mahindra 2415 No Start after roll #1  

Mopar287

Tractor
Mahindra 2415 Gear
My tractor was flopped on it's side last week. A friend of mine was operating it. Luckily he was not hurt and there was no physical damage to the tractor.

It flopped on it's left side, was shut off by him 20 seconds later. He up-righted it 20-30 minutes later with his truck, dragged it to the driveway it the engine would not turn with the starter. he put jumper cables on it (the battery is VERY weak). Still would not turn. Called me the following day.

I looked, the fan moved and stopped when hitting the starter so I concluded it was hydrolocked (oil). Before I could get there and just pull the glow plugs he had a friend over and they pulled the injectors out. The engine does crank.

I have tried to bleed the air out for a while. I cannot get the tractor to run and I have very little diesel at the injectors. I have done/verified the following:
- Electric fuel pump is working
- diesel will bleed out of the injection pump bleed port
- Water separator / filter have been cleaned.

I am thinking that either the injection pump died (somehow) but I can't seem to rule out an electrical problem/safety or inertia switch/ etc. What controls the fuel stop solenoid for the governor for the injection pump?

Thanks so much,
Chris

/ Mahindra 2415 No Start after roll #2  
Hi. Welcome.

Have you checked to make sure all fuses are still seated and no wires broke loose?
Also, any bent linkages that could be interfering with a safety switch?

/ Mahindra 2415 No Start after roll
All fuses are good (at least the ones in the small fuse panel). No bent linkages that I can see. The only safety switches I know of will prevent it from starting.

Now you have me thinking, are there any switches that will cause it to shut off? There is no occupant sensor in the seat, Are there others that will cause the tractor to shut down.

/ Mahindra 2415 No Start after roll #4  
Sure the clutch, another on the PTO lever and a shuttle if you have a shuttle tractor like I do. How's your hydraulic fluid. Anything that can spill likely did spill.
BTW the battery likely spilled acid all over the place too unless it was the AGM or a maintenance free type. I hate stinkin wet cell batteries.

I won't be letting anyone borrow or drive my tractor either. If I were you, I'd give that some thought in the future. I'd rather keep my friends and blame myself for things that go awry.

Agree. I'm not worried, he's a stand up guy and will pay for everything, I'm just trying to save him a big $$ trip for something stupid.

So at this point we managed to burn out the stop solenoid, found a replacement online, but the tractor is still not running. The injector pump seems to be sized on 2 of the 3 ports.

Has anyone had an injector pump fail after a roll??? Seems like it should be related to it rolling since it started only after it rolled but I can't seem to reason why a roll on its side would cause this. FYI, it is on the 2 holes that had oil in them.

Perhaps oil in the cylinder forced pressure back into the injector pump for these 2 ports????

/ Mahindra 2415 No Start after roll #7  
G'day it is possible that the oil forced into the tip of the injector blocking the injector and in turn that might have caused a plunger problem in the pump have seen it happen once years ago to an old simms inline pump on a fordson, the injector was blocked after sitting for a number of years and after a few attempts at starting the pressure build up actually split the head on the pump.
I would be taking the pump off and getting someone to check it out.
Also wouldn't hurt to do a compression test while injectors are out ( pump still on though don't want to upset the timing ) to make sure it has not bent a rod

Jon

I'm still worried about a bent rod. Thanks.

/ Mahindra 2415 No Start after roll #9  
I'm still worried about a bent rod. Thanks.

Is fuel tank full or near full as that helps bleeding process? A compression test would determine if a piston rod is bent. I think engine oil bath won't stop injector from operating. Are you positive IP fuel control solenoid is allowing fuel flow? Is tractor manual or hyd drive. If manual drive you could attempt tow starting the engine. I once owned a Ford 3000 with a non working fuel gauge that my employee ran out of diesel. I bled & bled the fuel system and it wouldn't start. I got disgusted and towed it less than 10 ft and it immediately started running.

We had a full tank.