Ford Jubilee

/ Ford Jubilee #1  

sawdusted

I have a Ford Jubilee that has hydraulic problems.When trying to lift a heavy implement such as a plow it makes an attempt but just does not lift.When you take the implement off it does raise and lower.Any ideas????

/ Ford Jubilee #2  
Weak pump. Worn 3pt cylinder/piston. Really bad (old) oil. Bad relief valve (or dirty - see previous...). Some other less likely leaking/worn problems.

I assume you have it in 'position' mode & not 'draft' mode, tho even then it should lift when you put the lever all the way up.

Some internal worn linkages, such as the cam follower pin, can cause problems, but not likely this.

I'd check out the Ford forums at www.ytmag.com for some real experts that know these old Fords. Do you have the vane pump or a piston pump? The vane is a throw-away, costs more to fix than it's worth & probably can't find the parts. The piston pumps have kits.

--->Paul

/ Ford Jubilee #3  
I don't have a link handy but there is a relatively inexpensive video out there on repairing the NAA/Jubilee/600 hydraulics. Lots of problem diagnostic info, and helpful hints like when to keep your finger over the end of that port to keep the ball bearing inside under control as you dissassemble... that sort of thing. Most of the sites catering to the old Ford's will have it listed. Great old iron.

Tim

/ Ford Jubilee #4  
It sounds like the lift-cylinder o-ring seal is leaking. Sometimes you can see this by removing the filler plug under the seat (not the one on top of the tranny) and looking into the reservoir while you raise the hydraulic lift under load. If the lift-cylinder is leaking, it should also let an implement drop pretty fast when you shut off the tractor. If it will hold the implement and not drop when the engine is shut off, it may be the pump is weak. Your 3PH should lift about a ton. They are really strong. Good luck.

/ Ford Jubilee #5  
I agree with the others. I'm one of the regulars over at ytmag N forum.. I also have a 8n, 2n, and a NAA ( same as jubilee ). The others gave you good info.

My first guess is that the rubber oring/leather backup washer is leaking.. You may need to hone the cylinder a tad and put new oring/backup washer in. One rare occasion the relief valve dies.. and on even rareer occasion the unloading valve dies.. but this usually doesn't result in a weak lift.

Sometimes on the piston pump, pieces of a dead piston oring/washer can hang up in the valving and cause fast leak downs.. etc.

Lots of ways to procede.. If the vane pump died.. a piston is probably your only replacement.. there was 1 2.5 gpm pump for the NAA and a 4gpm one for the hundred series... both bolt up the same.. but the 4gpm one ~may~ cause your draft hydraulics to be over sensitive... if you don't use draft mode.. it wil be faster hydraulic lift..etc. Either of the piston pumps will need the new manifold set for the hydraulic intake/exhaust lines.. Not cheap either way.. ( I hope it is a 10 dollar o-ring/washer/honeing fix.. )

Refill with NH 134d oil, or universal transdraulic oil...

Soundguy