Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer?

/ Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Here are the stats. I can rent a commercial 3500 PSI pressure washer for 8 hours/one day for $65. To buy a commercial model 4000 PSI washer costs $800 plus tax at Sam's Club. I'm not real familiar with pressure washers and it's been 20 years since I owned one so has anyone debated the merits of renting vs buying?

I do know they always seem to quit when you need them and they don't seem to last very long before something breaks. You have to drag them in a warm spot for the winter so they don't freeze and they take up space in the summer. Finally, when you sell them you don't get what you think you should. That's the way it was when I last owned one 20 years ago.

My use is maybe four hours a year in the fall for equipment cleanup. Maybe I would pressure wash the concrete patio too but I've been meaning to do that for 15 years and haven't so far. Seems I ought to rent but I've never given it much thought. Any thoughts on buying vs renting?

/ Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer? #2  
Hi Sixdogs - really there is a lot to pressure washers.
The ones Sams sell really are not commercial duty, more of a good residential duty machine. When you get into comm. units they are triplex pumps (CAT, GENERAL, ETC) and often belt driven. The PSI is important but not as much as GPM (gallons per minute) - thats where the real cleaning power comes from. (4000 PSI and 4.0 GPM seems to be a good place to start for good cleaning power and not crazy expensive)
Any how - as for if you should buy one. We use ours a lot. I run it every few weeks, everything from cleaning my house, the decks, do the cars, tractors, etc. I also have an add on hot box (hot water unit that makes the water coming out of the gun over 200 degrees) - incredible for doing greasy eqpt. Always spray off the bottom of my vehicles after the winter to get the salt off and clean everything real well. Pressure washers can also be used to sand blast with simple attachments and if you have clog pipes there are hoses made to clean the pipes from the inside.
A good unit will last a LONG time - the big killer of a pressure washer is not having the pump getting enough water - that causes cavitation of the pump which kills them. Other wise if you get something with a Honda Motor and a good pump they should last!
Anyway, just some thought and comments to give you a little extra information. Hope it helps....

/ Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer? #3  
look at electric PW for your uses

/ Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer?
Code54 --The local Sam's here has regular as well as truly commercial units with triplex pumps, etc and Honda motors. That's what I am comparing to.

/ Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer? #5  
I own one. Not a heavy duty commercial one, but it's lasted 10 years. I clean my boat, equipment walks and deck so use it 5-6 times a year. In winter you can winterized them easily with some rv antifreeze. I also have a electric one and hate it.

/ Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer?
look at electric PW for your uses

I had an electric Karcher that, when it worked was OK. But it died after two years and in the interim I had to struggle with the cord and hose that kept trying to wind in a different manner than I wanted them to. Plus it was difficult to connect the hose. I had to drag it inside for winter and those memory cord issues were always in the way.

/ Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer? #7  
Buy from a servicing dealer! Box stores Have lower quality pumps and even the Honda engines are not the same as what you would get from a servicing dealer. I personally have a Yamaha that is awesome. It idles down when you let of the trigger and it folds up for storage.

/ Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer? #8  
Code54 --The local Sam's here has regular as well as truly commercial units with triplex pumps, etc and Honda motors. That's what I am comparing to.

The Simpson Powershot unit? Think it is around $700-800. Not a bad machine at all but really on the fringe of true commercial in my opinion. It has a AAA pump (FNA groups own make) When you get into what I personally consider true commercial units it will have a high grade pump (CAT, etc) and most likely be a belt drive, slightly higher GPM, aluminum "cart", hose reels attached to cart, 100' of quality hose, quality gun, etc.... The Simpson unit also really is not built for pulling off a tank (really need belt drive for that although it can be done with a direct drive but usually not recommended by most) and that is something that gets into the professional realm a bit more also. Again, a good unit none the less, just not what top level commercial guys most likely will be running (well, maybe as a backup unit perhaps)

I also believe they build the Dewalt units that Home Depot sells - sometimes you seem the on sale this time of year. They also have one that is around 4200 psi if I recall correctly. Maybe able to find a 10 or 20% coupon to Home Depot and get a deal on their unit.

For your less frequent use pretty much any would work fine- even less expensive models. The triplex pumps big selling point is they last a LONG time and are easy to rebuild (higher flow and PSI also) but they drive the price up a LOT.

Also around us the local Home Depot often has refurbished units out front and often they are marked down a LOT - you get the warranty with them also, may help you out on price a bit if you are interested.

Not meaning any of this in a negative way at all, just making sure the difference are noted in case someone else is looking at doing this as a business or have a HD use.

Good luck on your search!

/ Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer? #9  
I paid $69 for a Harbor Freight unit about 10 years ago. it is a 1600 psi unit that will strip wood if you want to. For most things it works very well and I just used it today. I plan on power washing and painting my house this year and I intend to use it. It has been a great little unit with absolutely no issues. There are a few things that could be handier but it has done well.

I can't rent locally - I have to go about 20 miles one way to get it. Purchasing has been much cheaper and handier.

/ Anyone debate buying vs renting a pressure washer? #10  
I have rented a lot of equipment over the years and I can not remember even one good experience compared to owning a homeowner grade unit. Not a single one.

I always takes too much time at the rental yard, and even when they demonstrate the use of the item there, it is always a poorly maintained unit that doesn't work well, and is prone to breakdowns. And, it somehow always costs more than the advertised price.