ford 4630 no start

/ ford 4630 no start #1  

laloacosta91

Tractor
ford 4630
hello, im currently working on a ford 4630 tractor. i dont know to much about tractors in general but the issue im having i figured wouldnt be much different than a car. This tractor was running fine, the only issue was that i had to plug it into a charger for it to start because the battery would drain. One day i had some time so i decided to pull it in the shop to get a new battery and new alternator for it, figured this would be an easy fix. Took the alternator to my local parts store, which then they informed me i would have to go through a tractor store in order to get the alternator (its a wilson brand) so i figured i would put that off and just put the alternator and battery back in. I put everything back in exactly how i took it off, charged up the battery for a bit and now i get absolutely NOTHING i have power going where it needs to go, i didnt touch anything else. ive gone through all the wires and everything and i am about ready to throw in the towel (its just been sitting in my shop for almost a week now) i would really love any kind of direction on this because it sucks knowing its just taking up space i have no idea how me taking the alternator and battery out would cause such a big issue.

/ ford 4630 no start #2  
Welcome to TBN
Do you have transmission in neutral? Have you cleaned/tightened all 4 battery cable connections?

/ ford 4630 no start #3  
double check that you hooked it up right

/ ford 4630 no start
switch went bad and i was able to bypass starting it from the relay port. now i have a different issue, this tractor has a bad alternator, i know that much. But ive always been able to start it with a battery charger and a little bit of starting fluid, but now when i go to do this it cranks good for about 5 seconds and starts to die down even with the batter charger on it, got the battery tested and its good. made sure fuel is running from the tank to the filters to the injection pump and the injectors. it all has good flow but still will not start. i didnt mess with anything, parked it one night went to go start it the next day and this started happening. any ideas on what im doing wrong?

/ ford 4630 no start #5  
For goodness sake don't use starting fluid to start! That's a good way to break piston rings.

If the battery is good, and the terminals are clean and you have good chasis ground, the starter relay may be bad or the starter itself. MAKE SURE THE TRACTOR IS NOT IN GEAR! If you put jumpers directly from the battery to the relay, does the relay click in? If it doesn't, then at least the relay is bad. If the relay clicks in, and the engine doesn't turn then the starter is most likely bad. Usually you can take starters to an auto supply store and get them tested.

Last edited:
   / ford 4630 no start #6  
I agree with Jerry in DON"T USE ETHER. If starter stops turning with battery charger attached in 5 seconds after engagement either battery is bad although you stated it tested good or you have loose,corroded battery cable ends.

Is fuel control at inj pump in the "on position"????????