John Deere 855 Hydraulic Oil Leak

/ John Deere 855 Hydraulic Oil Leak #1  

samcritton

Tractor
John Deere 855
As the title states, I have an oil leak directly below the seat. A small spot of hydo oil is visible on the garage floor. Is there a common seal or gasket that is prone to failure? Any insights are helpful and appreciated. Thanks all. Sam

/ John Deere 855 Hydraulic Oil Leak #2  
Hi Sam, unfortunately it could be originating from the drive shaft seal for the under mount pto.
Right now I too, am dealing with hydro leaks with loose connections from the front bucket. Probably replace all four male and female hose connections.

/ John Deere 855 Hydraulic Oil Leak #3  
Please tell us more about the tractor. Is it equipped with a Front End Loader (FEL) and/ or a mid-mount mower(MMM)? If so, the short hydraulic lines to the small lift cylinder for the mower or the cylinder itself could be the source of your drip.

/ John Deere 855 Hydraulic Oil Leak #4  
I had a 955 and I had to replace the leaking bushing on the lever for the variable speed control. I could just slide a new one into place without pulling the transmission. Seems to me that I had to grind one side down a little too be able to do it.

/ John Deere 855 Hydraulic Oil Leak
Thank you for your replies. My tractor is a 1990 JD 855. I use the mid PTO with a MMM in the summer and a model 47 snowblower in the winter. I also use a bucket loader in the summer. The leak appears to be around the transmission and mid PTO. My guess is that it is coming from somewhere toward the top as the leak finds its way to the lowest bolts for the draw bar bracket. I'm going to remove the seat next week and try to look from above as I have not been able to pinpoint the leak from under the machine.

/ John Deere 855 Hydraulic Oil Leak #6  
How did you make out with that 47 snowblower? I bought a sb60 woodmaxx snowblower end of snow season, didn't even get to use it at all.

I've had the snowblower for about 4 years and really like it. I purchased a kit that includes rubber "paddles" that attach to the impeller. This dramatically improved the performance.

Update: I still have not found the source of the leak, but I do not think it is the center lift cylinder for the mower. I mowed a few days ago and left the mower fully up and after several days, it had not dropped, so I do not suspect that cylinder is losing pressure or fluid. Is this assumption correct?

/ John Deere 855 Hydraulic Oil Leak #9  
I can't say whether your assumption is right or not. Mine started leaking slightly within 2 yrs of new, but I didn't fix it for about 10 years. When I finally fixed it, I simply had to disconnect the other end so i could tighten the end that had been leaking. I did that because the other hose had developed a leak. I still have a small leak on the cylinder seal because there's always a drop of fluid ready to drip. The upside to all this is that the mower deck doesn't have any rust!

/ John Deere 855 Hydraulic Oil Leak #10  
I've had the snowblower for about 4 years and really like it. I purchased a kit that includes rubber "paddles" that attach to the impeller. This dramatically improved the performance.
Did you buy as a kit, or did you manufacture the rubber paddles yourself out of mudflaps? Would be interested in added those to my 60" four paddles on my impeller.