/ Fixing a ear tire -==== UGH #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
The good, bad & the ugly.

The good
2 shinny new tires on front.
actual 10 ply, mine tires that can hold up to 175lbs of air. Guy mounting tires laughed & told another guy in Spanish & he laughed when I only wanted 25lbs of air.

And the bad or ugly starts.
Cruised around on new tires, stopped by a friends & drank all his beer. Well he only had 3 cans. :D
On way home left rear tire didn't sound right when going over some rocks in what are called roads around here.
Quick test, thump with knuckles, yep don't sound right. Get home & a more scientific test, thump with big wrench. Yep it's low.
Squirt with hose & rub tire, nothing ;shows up. Soapy water & rag, rub tire & still nothing.

Go to town , get plug kit, yes it is tubeless, & as an after thought get 2 big bottles of "Slime".

Get home test again with a tire gauge, reads ZERO. Still can't find leak.
Time to slime. 2 Bottles of Slime should be almost nothing, its a big tire 10.5x24. Got 1 bottle almost in. Started on other bottle, hands got tired so stared using "C" clamps. Soon it quit going in. OK try again tomorrow. Maybe valve stem is plugged up?? Bend a 1/16" wire into a handle, sure enough it's plugged. No luck trying to force it in. Get some small drill bits, ( Forgot to mention valve stem is on the inside of tire under tractor. ) Can't make any progress trying to turn them by hand, no room for any kind of drill motor. Use line man pliers to hammer in drill bit. It worked, enough air to blow bit out. Put a little water in near empty slime bottle, wash out stem.

Being under the tractor, can hardly get there with out bumping head. Not hurt much, just enough to know that I have a head. ( OK it does not work very well. :laughing: )

Normally air up tire & put valve stem in, goes faster that way. Not taking a chance on it getting blown away in case my fumble fingers, not work as directed.
Hook up air hose & let her rip. Every now & then check pressure. At 35psi I quit. put on valve cap, just in case stem starts to leak.

Cruse around go see friend, he has restocked his beer supply. So had some beers & the 2 of us solve many of the world problems.

Tomorrow or next day use gauge & test tire PSI again. Sure hope that I done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :laughing:

/ Fixing a ear tire -==== UGH #2  
If it should leak again wait to make sure friend has restocked before going to see them. Flat tire and no beer is not any fun.

/ Fixing a ear tire -==== UGH #3  
In my oh so humble opinion, all jobs done right end with beer. Of course they may also have started with beer, and that seems to be the reason they became "jobs" in the first place!:hissyfit: :cool2: :drink:

/ Fixing a ear tire -==== UGH #4  
I have never seen a tractor tire that holds 175 psi.

/ Fixing a ear tire -==== UGH
I have never seen a tractor tire that holds 175 psi.

Even though they are the same size & fit tractor or skid steer, they are designed to be used in mines. Have even see them with protective chains on thiem.