Gold Member
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota M9000DTL 2001 JD 2252 Orchard Tractor Cat 216 Skidsteer 1999 JD 450H Dozer 1994 JD 644G wheel loader

Default $310 to fix a $3.60 problem

I have a NH 329 manure spreader. The other day I was spreading manure. I was kind in a hurry because it was raining and I like to get that manure down while itís raining otherwise our place stinks for a week. Anyways I was using a ĺ inch pin to hitch the spreader to the tractor. The pin didnít have a keeper on it which usually isnít a problem but it was this time because I was making long fast commutes from the manure pile to the field. A couple of times the pin jumped out of the hitch and caused the spreader to come undone. This wasnít a big deal but just a small hassle. It should have clued me into a big problem. I went looking for a pin with a keeper but couldnít find one so I thought to myself Iíll be more careful and slow down. This was a big mistake.

Later in the day it came off while I was spreading. The pto half yoke swung around and hit an arm of the 3pt and bent the shaft on the yoke. It also broke the bearings in the knuckle. For some reason I had in my mind that these were standard cheap parts so I figured that I would replace the whole assembly. It was old and unguarded. When I tried to remove the other undamaged half from the spreader it just wouldnít come off. In fact I broke my gear puller trying to get it off. Thinking that this was a cheap part anyways I got the torch out and cut it off. This was a big mistake. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

That part that went to the spreader was not standard and was not cheap. In the end it took me a week to get the parts and cost $310 for everything. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

When I picked up the parts I got a new hitch pin with a keeper. It cost $3.60. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] The wife isnít very happy with me and next time I get frustrated with something and start to reach for the torch I will be a more certain about what Iím doing and possibly call for some more information.

Confessions of a money waster.
    Eric

Default Re: $310 to fix a $3.60 problem

Remind me of the spreader on the farm,had b414 with 3pt drawbar loaded speader heavey when the load got neer the end the drawbar lifted and almost got the shaft but came down early enough. from that time on i only used the fixed draw bar,i was about 13 at the time so experice is on my side now.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota L3010

been there done that. a old mane once told me if never do anything you will never do anything wrong.

Tractor
    KIOTI CK20 GEAR.

A coat hanger would have probably prevented this. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]