$310 to fix a $3.60 problem

/ $310 to fix a $3.60 problem #1  

40Kchicks

Gold Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota M9000DTL 2001 JD 2252 Orchard Tractor Cat 216 Skidsteer 1999 JD 450H Dozer 1994 JD 644G wheel loader
I have a NH 329 manure spreader. The other day I was spreading manure. I was kind in a hurry because it was raining and I like to get that manure down while it’s raining otherwise our place stinks for a week. Anyways I was using a ¾ inch pin to hitch the spreader to the tractor. The pin didn’t have a keeper on it which usually isn’t a problem but it was this time because I was making long fast commutes from the manure pile to the field. A couple of times the pin jumped out of the hitch and caused the spreader to come undone. This wasn’t a big deal but just a small hassle. It should have clued me into a big problem. I went looking for a pin with a keeper but couldn’t find one so I thought to myself I’ll be more careful and slow down. This was a big mistake.

Later in the day it came off while I was spreading. The pto half yoke swung around and hit an arm of the 3pt and bent the shaft on the yoke. It also broke the bearings in the knuckle. For some reason I had in my mind that these were standard cheap parts so I figured that I would replace the whole assembly. It was old and unguarded. When I tried to remove the other undamaged half from the spreader it just wouldn’t come off. In fact I broke my gear puller trying to get it off. Thinking that this was a cheap part anyways I got the torch out and cut it off. This was a big mistake. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That part that went to the spreader was not standard and was not cheap. In the end it took me a week to get the parts and cost $310 for everything. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

When I picked up the parts I got a new hitch pin with a keeper. It cost $3.60. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The wife isn’t very happy with me and next time I get frustrated with something and start to reach for the torch I will be a more certain about what I’m doing and possibly call for some more information.

Confessions of a money waster.
Eric

/ $310 to fix a $3.60 problem #2  
Remind me of the spreader on the farm,had b414 with 3pt drawbar loaded speader heavey when the load got neer the end the drawbar lifted and almost got the shaft but came down early enough. from that time on i only used the fixed draw bar,i was about 13 at the time so experice is on my side now.

/ $310 to fix a $3.60 problem #3  
been there done that. a old mane once told me if never do anything you will never do anything wrong.

/ $310 to fix a $3.60 problem #4  
A coat hanger would have probably prevented this. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif