Air Compressor power supply

/ Air Compressor power supply #2  
Not sure what you are worried about. The breaker should be sized for the wiring, not the attached load. If you have 50 amp wiring, leave it at 50 amps. If you have a fault in the compressor, it will trip the breaker whether it's 30 or 50 amps.

/ Air Compressor power supply #3  
I'm sure a real electrician will be along soon and confirm this, but I believe the rule is a breaker should be 125% of the load. That puts you at 30 amps.

/ Air Compressor power supply #4  
I'm sure a real electrician will be along soon and confirm this, but I believe the rule is a breaker should be 125% of the load. That puts you at 30 amps.

Yes, but aren't you talking about "minimum" of 30 amps? I'd do the same as KennyG said.

/ Air Compressor power supply #5  
What the others have said, breakers and fuses are sized to protect the wiring not the load. The breaker is there to keep your building from burning down and nothing more. The minimum sized wiring is determined by the anticipated circuit load. The load should have it's own protection built in if needed and most do.

/ Air Compressor power supply #6  
What they all said. The only problem might be the plug matching the outlet. I've seen some plugs (like RV 30A) that have different plug configuration. If so change the plug or change the outlet.

/ Air Compressor power supply
The compressor is brand new and does not have a plug.

So, I can get a plug to fit in the old clothes dryer 50 amp outlet and run with that? Sounds simple enough.

/ Air Compressor power supply #8  
The compressor is brand new and does not have a plug.

So, I can get a plug to fit in the old clothes dryer 50 amp outlet and run with that? Sounds simple enough.

clothes dryer is 30 amp not 50 amp, welder/ovens are 50 amp, are you sure you know what your working with?

/ Air Compressor power supply
clothes dryer is 30 amp not 50 amp, welder/ovens are 50 amp, are you sure you know what your working with?

I thought the electrician that put it in 18 years ago called a 50 amp dryer outlet. Or maybe not. It was installed to run my welder. Any way, it is powered by a 60 amp breaker and I ran my Forny welder on it for a year.

/ Air Compressor power supply #10  
Jut buy a matching plug, and quit worrying... If it was wired for a 220v welder, you are in business!

SR