Cub 2185 No crank problem

/ Cub 2185 No crank problem #1  

Innov8

Tractor
Cub Cadet 2185
Hello folks. I'm a recent member and have owned my used Cub for just about 12 months. I love ité*� real work horse. Need your help here as I have exhausted what I can find on the previous posts and I don't know what to check next.

Last summer, occasionally the starter wouldn't crank with a turn of the key. I would hop in the seat, reset the brake and it would usually crank on the next turn of the key. I got one mow in this season and now the thing won't crank at all. I have replaced the starter, the ignition switch, the PTO, the reply, the seat switch, the brake interlock switch and the reverse switch. I removed the battery cables, cleaned them and the battery show 12.5 volts on the meter which drops to 11 when I turn the key and the solenoid clicks loudly. I also cleaned the ground to the engine block.

When this first started, I would able to start the engine with a screw driver across the positive post on the starter to the solenoid (blue wire)... it wouldn't turn crossing the two posts of the starter. When it ran, it would stall out when I flipped the PTO which is how I came to replacing the PTO. Anyway, when I try to cross the positive post to the solenoid now, nothing happens. When I turn the key there is spark between the blue wire and the solenoid plus I can feel it clicking the starter out. Some previous posts have suggested the the battery may be the issue but if I show 12.5 volts dropping to 11, doesn't that point to a good battery? I have been keeping it charged with a trickle charger as I work and try to ferret the electrical problem here.

I'm now stuck and unsure of what to check next. Let me know what you would do.

BTW, details on the machine are:
Model 2185 purchased 7/98 (by PO)
Factory Model No. 13A-288-100
Serial no. 1E228G30001
Engine Spec. No. 62588
Engine Serial No. 272985004
Family SKH 62AU1G2RA

Thank you in advance for your help. Patch

/ Cub 2185 No crank problem #2  
   / Cub 2185 No crank problem
Thanks Gator6x4. I'll head to Radio Shack as soon as I type this.

Note that I seem to have energy going to the starter already... When I turn the key and hold the blue wire near the small tab on the starter (with insulted pliers), I get a spark and the there is a loud clicking from the starter. Since the starter isn't turning over when I jump the terminals, I'm guessing that there isn't enough juice to spin the starter... just click the solenoid out but no spin—does this sound right? I might pick up a new battery even though the old one shows 12.5 volts (it is marked from 5/15 so I assume it's a year old but I also left it out under a tarp for the winter—no shed, yet).

Let me know and I'll also report back. Thank you again. Best,

/ Cub 2185 No crank problem
UPDATE: slightly embarrassed to admit this but after scratching my head and reviewing the entire safety and ignition circuits again, I realized that I did a sloppy job or cleaning the battery posts. I went at that again and sure enough the starter kicked over on the first turn of the key. Returning the new battery tomorrow! Thanks for giving my some sage advice and getting me to re-think and trace the power to figure out what was happening. Lesson learned: start with the most simple items (clean connections) and do it right the first time. Good luck to the next MTD or Cub owner reading this.