What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds?

/ What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds? #1  

Alpagas

Tractor
Ford 4000
Hello again, Im kinda new to all this but id like to know if i can simply use chains behind my IH model 10 grain drill to cover up the seeds. We will be planting a mixture of hay, brome and other small seeds (for our horses) and i want to make sure im doing things right.

Thanks in advance

/ What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds? #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

A chain harrow will work just fine. I'd also recommend ballast-rolling the paddocks after that in order to set/compact the ground... it'll allow the roots to get more of a grip due to horses 'ripping' at the yummy grass.

/ What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds? #3  
I use drag chains from these guys on my old, restored Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill

http://farmpartsonline.com/grain-drill/grain-drill-drag-chains/

Drill openers-1.JPGM5525  drill-1.JPGM5525 drill -2.JPGM5525 drill---3.JPG

These chains do a good job. Here's Kanota oats I planted a few years ago before the drought hit CA

Kanota oats-1.JPGKanota oats-2.JPG

Good luck

/ What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds? #4  
That doesn't look right. There is no way that tractor should be pulling that drill - they aren't even from the same century.

/ What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds? #5  
I reseeded a meadow several years ago. I just tied down a 15 foot chunk of 2" galvanized pipe across the back of my ATV and attached a log chain to each end - letting the loop drag on the ground. It worked just fine.

/ What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds? #6  
I have planted many many acres with out any kind of drag behind an old grain drill. Planted everything from grass seed to oats and always had a good stand. If you do anything it won't take much. Ed

/ What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds? #7  
I think a cultipacker behind the drill would firm the soil around the seeds and get you a better stand with less seeds. If you're planting a large enough acerage the cultipacker should eventually pay for itself in seed savings. On a small plot it'd probably be more economical to sew more seeds, and not buy a cultipacker.

/ What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds? #8  
That doesn't look right. There is no way that tractor should be pulling that drill - they aren't even from the same century.

I would have used my 1964 MF135 diesel, but it doesn't have the rear hydraulics for the drill.
My 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF was in parts when those photos were taken.
So I just used what I had available to get the crop planted.

/ What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds? #9  
Flusher,
That drill is a very nice looking piece of machinery.

/ What to use behind my grain drill to cover seeds? #10  
Ideally you would want to use a culipacker. More realistically some chain or chains do an OK job, as does an old pine tree which acts like a broom. And then there's always my favorite. Nothing. Tiny seeds are supposed to be no deeper than their height, which is about zero although germination is a lot quicker with a slight covering. A little rain or heavy dew works them into good ground contact pretty quickly; my results always come out fine.