Beaver 3 S373D starter lugging and melting wire.

/ Beaver 3 S373D starter lugging and melting wire. #1  

Jophiel82

Tractor
Beaver 3 Mitsubishi Satoh 373D
Having an issue with my Beaver 3. Go to start it and starter lugs and small wire to alternator plug starts melting. Took starter out and bench tested it. Starter works fine. Checked and rechecked battery connections, everything is in good shape. Removed whole harness to check for short. Harness checks out okay. A previous thread was written mentioning a similar problem. Battery tests good too. Is the alternator shorted out? Any help would be appreciated.

/ Beaver 3 S373D starter lugging and melting wire. #2  
Possibly poor ground connection between battery neg terminal and engine block. Remove end of cable and check for corrosion on block.
Replace cable if it looks suspect.
Dave M7040

/ Beaver 3 S373D starter lugging and melting wire. #3  
Can't go by looks as people can't see electricity until total failure and arcing occurs.
Instead of guessing use a multi meter to find the voltage drop.

/ Beaver 3 S373D starter lugging and melting wire.
Thanks guys. really appreciate your time. Checked and rechecked battery voltage, load tested multiple times, etc. Checked for voltage drops and continuity through the ground and positive sides of cables to block, to starter, to ignition switch, etc.

I went through a couple years of diesel school and have been working as a mechanic for 12+ years. I'm amazed how much i still don't know or how easy it is to get stumped sometimes. I'm working solo these days. Sure miss having other guys to go over stuff with.

I'm suspect of this Alternator, thinking maybe something in it got fried. I took it off and realized its definitely bad. Won't know if its the cause of my no start problem until i get the new one on. Never had an Alternator create a problem like this so I'm doubtful, but we'll see.

/ Beaver 3 S373D starter lugging and melting wire. #5  
I had a battery cable catch fire. It was corroded under the isulation.

/ Beaver 3 S373D starter lugging and melting wire. #6  
Thanks guys. really appreciate your time. Checked and rechecked battery voltage, load tested multiple times, etc. Checked for voltage drops and continuity through the ground and positive sides of cables to block, to starter, to ignition switch, etc.

I went through a couple years of diesel school and have been working as a mechanic for 12+ years. I'm amazed how much i still don't know or how easy it is to get stumped sometimes. I'm working solo these days. Sure miss having other guys to go over stuff with.

I'm suspect of this Alternator, thinking maybe something in it got fried. I took it off and realized its definitely bad. Won't know if its the cause of my no start problem until i get the new one on. Never had an Alternator create a problem like this so I'm doubtful, but we'll see.

How much current was flowing through the cable while measuring the voltage drop?