Have you ever heard of this before?

/ Have you ever heard of this before? #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I was using my Massey- Ferguson 35 Diesel Deluxe the other evening with the rotor-tiller on the back. As I was tilling I would work the three point lever back and forth ever so little to keep the tiller from hogging in and pulling the engine down as I went over uneven ground. After tilling for about an hour I was at the end of a run and pulled the lever back to raise the tiller so I could turn around and the three point would not lift the tiller. Now up until this point the thing was working fine. So out of desperation I moved the lever all the way forward and as I brought the lever back the tiller came up. So I tried it again,, move the lever a third of the way down as if I was tilling then pulled it back up and once again it would not lift. Move the lever all the way down and pull it back up and the tiller raises again. Now I head to the barn so I don't get stranded in the field. Once back at the barn I'm thinking about what to do as the tractor is sitting there idling. After five minutes I climb back aboard and guess what the thing starts working like it 's supposed to. I park it for the night and go out the next evening and it works the whole night just fine. Never acted up once. But here's the thing,,,, first what caused it to do that in the first place and now every time I reach for the lever I wonder if it's going to raise the implement or not. Gun shy I guess you call that. You fellows have any idea what caused it to act up? Dirt in a valve or something or can I expect to see it do this again. Have any of you experienced anything like this yourself. Any tips or advise are gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance. RRM

/ Have you ever heard of this before? #2  
Check oil level. Ptorunning heats trans and thus the oil and working lift often would also. My guess is the oil is low or got hot enough it thinned out. When has the oil green changed and filter if it has one?

/ Have you ever heard of this before? #3  
I have had strange things happening like this on a rare occasion. In my case I think it has something to do with the draft/depth control vs. the position controls. My top link is mounted in the center hole of three holes which is supposed to be the best location in my case for draft/depth control

I have learned that whenever the 3PH on mine acts a bit erratic, I move the draft/depth control handle all of the way forward or backward as the case dictates (issue with implement going up or down) and all is well once I reset the draft position.