Need an electrian's help

/ Need an electrian's help #1  

budepps3760

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2810
I have an old 220v welder that did not work today when I tried to use it. Would not even turn on. I measured the voltage at the plug and got a reading of 120 volts on one leg and 55 volts on the other leg for a total of 175 volts in the plug. I am guessing there was not enough voltage to allow the welder to operate. What would cause one leg to be so low in voltage and what would be the solution?

/ Need an electrian's help #2  
bad connection go to the breaker and measure. turn the power off and clean contacts, wire and lug and try again. According what you measure there you will go to the buss or welder, and don't forget the neutral, good luck

/ Need an electrian's help #3  
Check to see if you have 220 v at the breaker (fuse if it's a fuse panel).
In any case keep just going back through the power supply till you have 220v and your problem (breaker/fuse, connections) will be between that point and the next junction to the welder.

Al

/ Need an electrian's help #4  
1. Verify 220v at the main
2. U hook wires from breaker, verify 220v
3. Reconnect wires and verify at plug. If not, take cover off plug.

If you don't have 220-240 at the main, the problem is further upstream. If this is a sub panel, check the main supply. If this is a main panel, you either have an issue at the meter, transformer, or with the power company.

/ Need an electrian's help #5  
It sounds like you have a problem with the neutral rather than a "hot" - perhaps a poor ground connection / poor bond between the neutral and ground. From hot to hot you should be able to measure 230V now. The connections to the ground rod and where the neutral and hot are bonded together should be cleaned, coated with anti oxidizing paste and tightened. Best de-energize before trying that because it's a real opportunity to get shocked or worse.

I'd also bet that if you have some lights fed from the same panel that depending on the type, they either vary in brightness or don't work.

/ Need an electrian's help #6  
When it happened to us, it was a nick through the insulation on one leg of the underground direct bury aluminum cable. The wire oxidized to nothingness.:thumbdown:

/ Need an electrian's help
How in the world did you run that down?

/ Need an electrian's help
My father has a phase shifter on the same circuit. It had a bad start capacitor in it and I replaced it however when I tried to start it it started smoking and I had to run and shut it off at the panel. Maybe that has something to do with it also.

/ Need an electrian's help #9  
When it happened to us, it was a nick through the insulation on one leg of the underground direct bury aluminum cable. The wire oxidized to nothingness.:thumbdown:

How in the world did you run that down?

It was good leaving the house, bad at the barn. Borrowed an underground cable fault locator from an electrician friend. It pinpointed where to dig.

Last edited:
   / Need an electrian's help #10  
It sounds like you have a problem with the neutral rather than a "hot" - perhaps a poor ground connection / poor bond between the neutral and ground. From hot to hot you should be able to measure 230V now. The connections to the ground rod and where the neutral and hot are bonded together should be cleaned, coated with anti oxidizing paste and tightened. Best de-energize before trying that because it's a real opportunity to get shocked or worse.

I'm with chim. This exact same thing happened to me, and it was where the neutral and ground tied together, at the main panel.