Seat Cracking

/ Seat Cracking #1  

Al Mac

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 2920
My tractor is 2 years old and mostly kept inside. It is open face unit so the weather is a factor on the seat when outside. As the seats get dry in the sun and elements then cracks will start at the bending points when sitting on it. It has not happened yet that is why I am posting this.
As you might have guessed the rest of the tractor is cleaned and waxed a few times a year. What do others use on the seat to keep it in good condition.
I remember years ago we used baby oil on seats and dash pads in the cars. I used it the other day on the seat and it soaked in quite fast (a couple hours). Soaking in time is how I know how dry the seat was.

Is their better stuff on the market or is baby oil still the best bang for the buck.

Al

/ Seat Cracking #2  
If already cracked use Gorilla Clear tape(clean area with alcohol wipes) Flip the seat over if it's made to do that,or keep a big black garbage bag on the tractor and cover the seat when not in use.

/ Seat Cracking #3  
It's hard to say without knowing the exact compound used. I imagine, one could easily do more damage then good with an incompatible product

My Mother sewed a cover for our John Deere tractor when new. I never got to enjoy that trademark Yellow seat. Just an ugly black (now faded) material that was used to make combat boot linings.

I bet if I take the cover off, the seat is cracked underneith anyway. So, what was the purpose of that?

/ Seat Cracking #4  
I have one of these on both my tractors to protect the seats --

51xvA3ydrPL._SX425_.jpg

Amazon.com : Classic Accessories 12324 Deluxe Riding Lawn Mower Seat Cover, Medium : Lawn Mower Covers : Patio, Lawn & Garden.

Steve

/ Seat Cracking #5  
Yep, as Steve demonstrates, a seat cover should eliminate weather related heat cracking. Kubota will sell a spiffy, branded, one for your rig(s).

Here in Aus, auto part supply stores (and OEMs) sell moulded 'dashboard' carpets to prevent cracking due to the intense UV rays experienced down here. They're so popular (yes, I've got one in my HILUX ute) that they are sold specific to your make & model.

/ Seat Cracking #6  
These dashboard carpets. Are they by any chance Shag? That's nothing new. We did that over here in the seventies.

/ Seat Cracking #9  
My seat went to he!! very quickly in the AZ sun.
Plan on geting it recovered with canvas, not the plastic crap, but real canvas, it is available in many colors.

/ Seat Cracking #10  
My tractor seat was the typical vinyl or leatherette and naturally it cracked and wet my butt.
I had a suitable piece of leather which I recovered the seat with.
To my satisfaction and pleasure It was actually warmer in winter and my rear thanked me.
Summer is no different as to comfort.
The big factor is that the leather always remains supple and comfy, with winter comfort being the big bonus.